L30/L31 intake possibility?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly, I have no clue what to think of that intake. It does look like it'd fit the L31. And it does look like it's drilled for common rail fueling. But it has no vacuum port for the brake booster, so you'd have to hydroboost it. And there's nothing for the EGR, or MAP sensor.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, but the intake he posted and the L31 marine intake are not the same. The official L31 "marine intake" is still a two piece intake. And it almost identical to the stock street intake except for the fact that some of the holes will need to be drilled and tapped. The intake he posted is missing a lot and looks like it's meant for a carb setup unless you pull the plugs out, and even then there are a bunch of provisions not included that would need to be tuned out or worked around.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A map sensor and brake booster port are easy to add. You would probably have realestate to spare for them right on the adapter for the throttle body. The actual marine intake doesn't have provisions for EGR either and it would be simple to add to this style intake. Also, this intake is aluminum where as the marine intake is cast iron and also about $400 vs $160 for this one.

I would think knocking out those plugs would be easy and even if you had to have a touch of work done to it you could come in under the price of the marine intake plus it's EGR mod.

I was just browsing this morning and happened on this.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is a pretty cool find; def something I would consider especially if going down the sc/turbo route. Being that it's aluminum it'll be super easy to tap, too. Someone should test mule it ;)

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A map sensor and brake booster port are easy to add. You would probably have realestate to spare for them right on the adapter for the throttle body. The actual marine intake doesn't have provisions for EGR either and it would be simple to add to this style intake. Also, this intake is aluminum where as the marine intake is cast iron and also about $400 vs $160 for this one.

I would think knocking out those plugs would be easy and even if you had to have a touch of work done to it you could come in under the price of the marine intake plus it's EGR mod.

I was just browsing this morning and happened on this.

Yeah that is a pretty cool find; def something I would consider especially if going down the sc/turbo route. Being that it's aluminum it'll be super easy to tap, too. Someone should test mule it ;)
Well, I would definitely volunteer by engine as a test mule, but someone else would need to provide the pre-tapped intake. I can take care of the spacer, injectors, and throttle body.
It looks like there's already a hole tapped in one of the runners for something, and there's another tapped hole in what looks like the coolant passage up top.
Also, where would the EGR valve and solenoid go? It doesnt look like there's real estate for them. Maybe the EGR tube coming off the exhaust could go into the spacer, but that's all I can envision. Might be easier to EGR delete from the get go.
I'm sure there's a few more sensors I'm forgetting, but I will be all means volunteer my engine as a test if we crowd source this.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Yeah, but the intake he posted and the L31 marine intake are not the same. The official L31 "marine intake" is still a two piece intake. And it almost identical to the stock street intake except for the fact that some of the holes will need to be drilled and tapped. The intake he posted is missing a lot and looks like it's meant for a carb setup unless you pull the plugs out, and even then there are a bunch of provisions not included that would need to be tuned out or worked around.

Aaah I see, my mistake

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aaah I see, my mistake
This still looks like a viable option. When I come across some money to actually do the whole swap, I'm def gonna look into it. At first thought, I hadnt thought of putting the missing provision in a spacer, so that's definitely viable now. EGR would more than likely need to be deleted though, which only bothers me to the degree of needing to have it tuned out. No clue how much that goes for.