Killing ICM's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ernjohn

Reaction score
iirc, heatsink compound should be used, not dielectric grease. If the new icm doesn't come with some then check out radio shack or a computer store for a small tube.
the heatsink compound may also be called 'T.I.M.' - Thermal Interface Material.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Here's a thought, although I don't know if it would help any: would using thermal paste, like what's used when attaching a heatsink to a processor, provide any benefit over just dielectric grease in this case?

[edit] Nice going ernjohn, you beat me to it as I was typing, lol.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I went through 2 icms in just over a month before I changed out the distributor. Something to do with the distributor loosing it's magnatism and killing the icm is how it was explained to me :shrug: no issues since in close to 10 months. I keep a spare in the glove box just in case though.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Yes, the part is a stupid Autozone ICM, but it has a lifetime warranty. The reason I did that, is that I was suspecting that my old one was killed by something, and so I didn't want to keep having to buy new ones until I figured it out. Most of the ignition system on this truck is probably original, maybe even the wires.

For today, I'm just going to pull the ICM and have it tested and replaced. If I can, I'll test the pick-up coil with my ohmmeter too.

Have I mentioned that I hate electrical issues? They come and go, and sometimes have problems for unusual reasons.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Good point sir :lol:

These are the issues that push me back into the dark ages of HEI setups and a carb.

Nope. They had their own special type of heartache/pull your hair out stuff too.

"Rose coloured glasses syndrome"

:rofl:

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Ok, so I pulled the air cleaner off, injectors aren't doing a thing. I pulled the ICM, took it down and had it tested. It passed both times. Came back and reassembled it, same thing.

So now I'm going to pull it again and just have them replace it. It's a lifetime warranty from Autozone. Yes, I know that their parts aren't the greatest, but I figured I would at least give them a shot, and maybe get a good one. In any case, free replacement is a plus. Going out to pull it now, then I'll get it replaced and re-assembled, see if that does the trick. If not, it's either the fuel relay or (hopefully not) the fuel pump. I don't usually let it get below 1/4 tank, so it's been fairly relaible, but as far as I know, this is the original pump, so if the next one lasts me 20 years, I can't complain too much.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
20 years? I've had my '97 about 3.5 years & I've replace the fuel pump 2X! And I'm like you in the fact that I never let the tank get below 1/4!
Damn offshore crap!