Kicking the tires on 2WD to 4WD conversion... VSS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So i've got two 2WD trucks. Both CCLB's. One is the cleanest GMT400 CCLB i've ever seen (in person), one is a family truck thats been in the family since 96.. No real desire to sell/buy another vehicle.

Just kicking the tires on an SAS. I've acknowledged the frame differences yet i feel comfortable about making it happen. I have a 4x4 4L80E and NP241 case. My question is the VSS sensor. I figured this would be a plug and play, but i've heard some things that make me think otherwise.

Now the aftermarket controller that runs my 4L80E doesn't have specific harnesses for 2WD/4WD so i believe i will be okay with that. As far as the transfer case, i would assume the VSS on the back of the case gives an accurate reading of wheel output speed therefore do not anticipate that any issues would arise from adding a 4WD trans/tcase to a 2WD chassis.

Figured i'd post just to see if anyone had came across this. I will be snagging some shift linkage, driveshafts and crossmembers off a K3500 truck for everything else to mimic a stock 4x4 truck. (just no actuator) :)

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Vss should plug right into the g case np. Throw a t case cross member in SAS brackets springs axle brakes driveshafts good to go

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I figured i would need obviously all of the SAS bracketry and steering components.... but also

4x4 trans/t-case (already have)
4x4 crossmembers (trans/transfer case crossmembers)
4x4 driveshafts
4x4 shifter and shift linkage (already have)

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
The biggest thing for me is going to be finding a Dana 60 or a Dana 44 that will work.

I found some Kingpin housings only local for cheap but i don't know how much cost is involved

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
The biggest thing for me is going to be finding a Dana 60 or a Dana 44 that will work.

I found some Kingpin housings only local for cheap but i don't know how much cost is involved
I wish you were local to me I have everything you need.
You must be registered for see images attach

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
How far are you up in Iowa. I would seriously travel.... for the right price that is.