keyless entry remote questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
I have a 97 silverado, it already has the key less entry stuff in it from the factory but both remote are crapped out. Ive been told several different things about replacing the remotes, been told i can buy the remote anywhere but have to take it the GM dealership to have it programed to the truck. Is there any truth to this? or can i just order one like off of eBay and it would come with program instructions and do it myself? Also, my grandpa has a 99 just like mine, and it has a beeper to indicate that the truck is locked and mine does not. I would like to put a beeper in mine also if it is possible. Im guessing it was put in truck after 97, does anyone on here know how to add the beeper option to an existing key less entry system? Thanks in advance for any info.

-Mike

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To program the remote you jump pins 4 an 8 on the aldl. The locks will cycle, after they cycle hold the lock an unlock buttons on the remote at the same time until the locks cycle again. Repeat for up to 4 remotes. After you've programmed all the remotes remove the jumper in the aldl an test the remotes.

You can get the remotes off Ebay, that's where I got mine just make sure they are the same part number that's on the back of the remote you have now.

Mine blows the horn when you press the lock button twice. Is that the beeper your refering too???

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
To program the remote you jump pins 4 an 8 on the aldl. The locks will cycle, after they cycle hold the lock an unlock buttons on the remote at the same time until the locks cycle again. Repeat for up to 4 remotes. After you've programmed all the remotes remove the jumper in the aldl an test the remotes.

You can get the remotes off Ebay, that's where I got mine just make sure they are the same part number that's on the back of the remote you have now.

Mine blows the horn when you press the lock button twice. Is that the beeper your refering too???

thanks for the info Paul, im going to look into it, ive been using the key since i got the truck and its getting old. yes sir it is, thats what my grandpas truck does my truck has never done that. Since mine doesn't its hard to tell if its locked or not since these remotes don't do good with distance like the new ones do.

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
How about programing with a 95 that has an obd1 the top hat looking one.
also i no longer have any remotes so how can i figure out whatpart number i need?

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
also i no longer have any remotes so how can i figure out whatpart number i need?

Id think the programming would be the same or may not be, im not sure. You can prolly find out what remote number you need through the vin number through the dealership. maybe someone that knos more about all this will chime in,

-Mike

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

According to this the part number you need is 15725422.

http://www.remotesandkeys.com/searchresults.asp?cat=5916

Heres another place that has them.

http://www.chipkeys.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=115

On the left side of your aldl the bottom first pin needs ground, then you program just like I described above. Here is a link..

http://www.programyourremote.com/classified/DisplayAd.asp?id=1460

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
check out this thread:
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?5854-WRITEUP-GM-Remote-MOD

This worked on mine. When I bought the truck the remote didn't work. I ordered a used remote from ebay for $30 and that didn't work either. I ended up adding a longer antenna wire to both remotes and luckly the original remote began to work again. The ebay one didn't work I'm not sure why.

Really? My 97 yukon doesn't do that. Maybe the 98s beep?