K3500 AC Orifice Tube Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tried asking the Almighty Google and all I got was information on suburbans and 1500's. The line they show its located in is just a standard high pressure line with no housing for the tube on my truck. It appears to run between the condenser and evaporator. Anyone dealt with this before?

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on how your lines are laid out it could be easy to find. Follow your lines from condenser to the firewall. Where it suddenly goes hot to cold is where your orifice tube sits. I mean in a matter of inches it will go hot/cold. There will be notches in the tubing as well, these are what hold the orifice tube in place.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My AC is completely non functioning right now. Compressor **** the bed so I have a new Comp, Rec/drier and orifice tube to install.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My AC is completely non functioning right now. Compressor **** the bed so I have a new Comp, Rec/drier and orifice tube to install.
Well of course it's not working, sorry about that. Only reason I even remembered that trick was I was troubleshooting wife's not good enough a/c just yesterday and found the orifice tube without even trying that way. Maybe look for the little notches in the lines. And it will be where there is a fitting, and on the high side line between condenser and evaporator. Should not be hard to find at all

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found a picture that shows it may be behind the grill. Ill have to take the grill off and go from there.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Pull the right turn signal out and it's right there. You shouldn't have to pull the grill. Don't give in to temptation and not hold both pieces with a wrench or you'll damage the condenser.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull the right turn signal out and it's right there. You shouldn't have to pull the grill. Don't give in to temptation and not hold both pieces with a wrench or you'll damage the condenser.

Well that worked until I had a hell of a time getting the new orifice tube back in place. It would go in part way and then bind up. The grill came off anyway for more room. Broke the tube trying to reposition it and ended up at the store to buy another one. Got that one in after using the proper extraction too to do so. New compressor and receiver drier installed. Charged the system and I've got ice cold ac finally. Thanks for the pointers.