K2500 - New motor, and stuff...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For anybody who I haven't already bored with these details - I bought this truck as a temporary fix for a dodge cummins that kept breaking down. The k2500 ended up fitting my needs better than the dodge, so I started fixing stuff on it and added/removed a few parts. I have removed the abs and A/C, then put in a wilwood prop valve, stainless lines and new steel lines. Now I am going to buy the lugnuts 4x4 rear disc conversion to finish the brakes. Also ordered a new gm goodwrench stock 4 bolt main 350, egr delete, magnaflow muffler (no cats), and blackbear tune.

The stock motor runs ok, but a rod knock (?) has been getting louder. I mainly use this truck to pull a 7000 pound toy hauler to off road races and sand dunes. The stock motor has 217,000+ miles on it, and the truck has earned some new parts.

Hopefully changing the motor and stuff goes smoothly, but I am sure that I will need you folks to help me with some stuff. This should be an adventure... :)

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also have ordered an oem intake manifold gasket set, and oem exhaust manifold gaskets. Is there anything else that I should be replacing? Am thinking about replacing the quick disconnect coolant hose ends...

I am taking the front clip off to do the swap. It will be easier to access stuff, and I also wanted to see what kind of shape everything is in.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For anybody who I haven't already bored with these details - I bought this truck as a temporary fix for a dodge cummins that kept breaking down. The k2500 ended up fitting my needs better than the dodge, so I started fixing stuff on it and added/removed a few parts. I have removed the abs and A/C, then put in a wilwood prop valve, stainless lines and new steel lines. Now I am going to buy the lugnuts 4x4 rear disc conversion to finish the brakes. Also ordered a new gm goodwrench stock 4 bolt main 350, egr delete, magnaflow muffler (no cats), and blackbear tune.

The stock motor runs ok, but a rod knock (?) has been getting louder. I mainly use this truck to pull a 7000 pound toy hauler to off road races and sand dunes. The stock motor has 217,000+ miles on it, and the truck has earned some new parts.

Hopefully changing the motor and stuff goes smoothly, but I am sure that I will need you folks to help me with some stuff. This should be an adventure... :)

I did a front end rebuild on m 1999 Tahoe when I had the engine out. It is a great time to change the motor mounts and front suspension/steering pieces that may need attention.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also have ordered an oem intake manifold gasket set, and oem exhaust manifold gaskets. Is there anything else that I should be replacing? Am thinking about replacing the quick disconnect coolant hose ends...

I am taking the front clip off to do the swap. It will be easier to access stuff, and I also wanted to see what kind of shape everything is in.
Return the intake set. Get the FelPro ms98000t instead. Google it. You'll be much happier. Dorman makes a steel version of that quick connection. Some guys do a brass nipple instead. Do the mpfi upgraded spider while you're there.

86k10

Reaction score
Isn't taking the front clip off the same amount of work as just pulling that engine? I have not pulled a OBS grunt clip off but did a 82. The 82 didn't have nearly as many items attached to it, also no A/C.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Isn't taking the front clip off the same amount of work as just pulling that engine?

Maybe even more work. I wanted to take the front clip off to see what kind of shape everything is in. 20 years of going down the road in all weather conditions takes its toll on these poor trucks...

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think that I will replace the front shocks while they are easy to get to. They look pretty old.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some guys do a brass nipple instead. Do the mpfi upgraded spider while you're there.

I am going to do the brass nipple.

It looks like I still have the old poppet style. The mpfi makes a big difference? My truck ran good still with the poppet style. If it makes much difference, I will upgrade to the mpfi.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am going to do the brass nipple.

It looks like I still have the old poppet style. The mpfi makes a big difference? My truck ran good still with the poppet style. If it makes much difference, I will upgrade to the mpfi.
The mpfi should be considered a maintenance item in my opinion. The stock poppet is fine until it fails. I wouldn't replace one with another poppet unit. If you are already that far into it then I would replace it.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The MPFI made a big improvement in throttle response on my 98. But, it had the original injectors and 170k or so on it, so anything was probably going to be an improvement. I’d swap them out if you’re in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk