K1500 Front Axle Re-gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97ttpuller

Reaction score
This is my first full sized Chevy truck so I have lots of questions. I have done many a solid axle gear change and even several Ford front TTB's. Now I need to re-gear a 1997 K1500, I don't really need gear set up help, I need tear-down help. I've heard several nightmare stories about the left axle not coming out on these Chevy IFS 8.5" front axles.

I did lots of looking around and cant find a good thread with pictures anywhere on how to disassemble my front axle. I poked my head under the truck for a while yesterday and getting the pumpkin/housing out looks fairly easy and straight forward. To me, it looks like I can drop the housing without even having to pull half shafts out.

I do have a Haynes manual but not much help. Can anyone link me to a good write up about how to tear down a Front Chevy IFS axle? As usual thanks for the help.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what ratio you going with? The salvage yard I deal with every day will ship anywhere in the U.S and they have probably 25 or so gmt 400's I could check for the ratio you need and get a price on a front housing complete if you'd like let me know.

97ttpuller

Reaction score
what ratio you going with? The salvage yard I deal with every day will ship anywhere in the U.S and they have probably 25 or so gmt 400's I could check for the ratio you need and get a price on a front housing complete if you'd like let me know.

I want to go with 4.10's out here in Arizona I can only find 2 ratios listed for the front 3.42 and 3.73 if you can find a complete housing with 4.10's PM me with the price. Thanks for the help.