Jumping when in 4x4... Need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
Well Ive owned the truck for about a year... Ive honestly only ever put it in 4 wheel a few times, and never got stuck. I always thought it was working until I got 5" of snow in a few hours. So I might go a head and pull it and see whats up. How hard is it to pull the cover? And would I need a gasket and all that to put back in? And how much/what type of fluid needs to go back in? This is my first time really messing with the drivetrain up front on a truck. Ive dealt mainly with interior/electrical (lights, audio) for all my life. And motors. The tranny and gears was all my uncles doing (hes passed or I would just ask him...) Sorry for all the questions.

pulling the diff cover is super easy...prob wont even have to jack up your truck lol. loosen bottom like 5 bolts and let alot of the diff fluid train then remove. you will need a new gasket and make sure you really rally clean off the old gasket or you will get a leak.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pulling the diff cover is super easy...prob wont even have to jack up your truck lol. loosen bottom like 5 bolts and let alot of the diff fluid train then remove. you will need a new gasket and make sure you really rally clean off the old gasket or you will get a leak.

He is talking about the front diff. Iirc there is no cover just case halves.

Sent from somewhere in MN

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
He is talking about the front diff. Iirc there is no cover just case halves.

Sent from somewhere in MN

Yeah thats what Im being told. There isnt a cover like the rear, you have to wrestle the whole thing out of the truck and then split it in half. So for now I am just going to do the "jack up front/mark tire and yoke/spin tire and count" method to try to figure out what gears I have. I wish I had someone around here that knew what they were talking about to just take it for a test drive cuz its hard to explain what its doing.