JollyGreen's 99 crew cab: "Walking the Green Mile"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I found my truck kind of on a whim and a quick google search. Back in February of 2013 I started to think about acquiring a crew cab. (*Sidenote- A member on here, "smrr1", had posted the truck sometime before I bought it. It was offered as a private party sale). I always wanted one for a number of reasons, the biggest being that they could be considered somewhat rare (compared to the EC and RC trucks). Other pluses were the extra room provided, heavier drivetrain and towing capacity. I found the truck on Autotrader at a dealer up in Seattle, Washington back in early March. About a week later I got into an accident with my 97 and was given the option to either total it or fix it. Although the decision was tough, in the end I decided to pursue the 99. Had I not located that truck in the weeks prior I might very well be driving the 97 still, post repairs. I flew to Washington and started back to Tucson the same day.

Well since finding my 99 crew cab back in March I haven't had a lot of time to do much of anything to it. Being deployed from April-Sept of 2013 gave me a lot of time to think about what, if anything I wanted to change or improve. *Disclaimer* This will be more of a pic ***** thread than a build. :rotflmao: I'm sure there will be some mods done to it in the upcoming years, but honestly I'm not looking to "overhaul" the look, at least not as much as I did with my 97 ECSB. I believe in subtle and tasteful changes, sort of like what an optioned truck would/should have looked liked if you could have done that at the dealer. I've already changed the wheels, put on new rubber and gotten rid of the cap in favor of a Weatherguard saddle box.

Specs of truck when I bought it:

1999 Chevrolet 3/4 ton crew cab
89,000 miles
Vortec 454/4L80
Emerald Green metallic
all stock with exception of the wheels

Ideas/possible changes (subject to change):

New side steps
Wheel spacers for the rear
Colormatch grill or swap to GMC front w/ billet
Headlights
Parking lights
Clear corners
Clear cab lights
Dodge or GM tows
07+ hood
Chrome smoothie front bumper
NBS rear bumper (with mods)
Spray-in bedliner
Cam swap
6BT swap (waaaaaayyyy down the line)
Lots of small badging I want redesign/CNC
other things I'm probably forgetting....

The day I picked it up in Seattle

You must be registered for see images attach

Waiting on me patiently in the garage this summer:

Some much needed tint after I got back in September: Limo in the rear/15% up front

After cap removal/toolbox install:

Last edited:

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
As it sits now after H2 wheels, Toyo Open Country AT II's and GMT400 center caps:

Center caps were cut down on both the O.D. and backside so they would sit inside the wheel more

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Possible step ideas. I've got some 4"x2"x1/4" steel tubing I think I might use to replace the nerf (old man) steps that were on it. These seem it fit the truck better IMO. I need to decide what to use for supports, which will run to the frame and get bolted on. These will get powdercoated or some bedliner treatment.

Gotta get this beast on this week after my reducers show up. Magnaflow XL 13762

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks great, don't see many of the GMT400 crew cabs ive only seen 2 over here

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I'd say go full length if that is going to be your side steps.

I'd do wheel well to wheel well, but that's just me.

Might as well tie them into the frame and make 'em rock sliders if going through the trouble to build 'em.

It may never go offroad, it may never need 'em, but the one time you do or make that "ooppsie" the extra work pays for itself.

Center caps came out nice.

:)

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
I'd say go full length if that is going to be your side steps.

I'd do wheel well to wheel well, but that's just me.

^ This. I did the same type of step on my 85 back in the day. It will also help to step up on and get things out of the tool box. I recessed marker lights into the end of the miter cut.
The wheels look great.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Wow! Those rims look great with those hub caps! Love the color of the truck and the name of the thread, great book and movie.