Jerky steering problems?!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97 silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not real sure where to post this at since I didn't see anything about steering anywhere else. So I'll post it here, I have a 97 gmt and when I take turns at say 50mph and up I get a jerk in the steering wheel. It's not really a jerk its just like the steering wheels get real easy in certain spots causing me to jerk the wheel. I've done a little bit of research and it's said to be caused by the Steering Assist that they put on these trucks? Anybody else had this problem? Is it worth fixing or is there a way to just unhook it. I would like to have it fixed but only if it doesn't cost an arm and leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the sensor on the lower part of the steering column. My 97 did the same thing. Just unplug it

97 silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i would like to have it working? I know when I got the truck it worked and the steering was easier than a new truck. Could you just replace the sensor I wonder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had the dealer change my sensor in my 97, about 6 or 7 years ago, when my wife was driving the truck before I laid clame to it. It has been good ever sense.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Its not hard to change. Just have to unbolt the column. Its called an EVO sensor.