Is there a write up for rear bumper removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to take the bumper off and replace it. It and the Reese hitch are rusted out bad.

Anyone have a how-to on how to remove the rear bumper?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
You need an 18mm six point socket and wrench. I don't have a write up, but you definitely need those. I had my rotted one that was mostly chrome holding rust together off and swapped in an hour.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Its super easy. If you don't have a cheater bar, get one. Grab some extensions. If you have an impact, use it. If the bolts are stuck, heat them up with MAP gas. Take the hitch off first. undo trailer wiring. Un plug the plate lights on the bumper. I like to undo the frame bolts first. Then undo the outer bumper brackets on the bumper end. The outer bracket bolts have the upper nut welded onto the bumper on both my bumpers, so just hammer the bolt straight out no problems.

I have never had bumper bolts snap on me or anything. Make sure you use a 3/4" ratchet to break them loose, you will damage a 1/2" ratchet with a cheater bar.

The hitch bolts are the hardest, but still easy. Just wedge a box end on the top against the frame and crank on the other end of the bolt with a ratchet.

Get some clear safety glasses. The dirt and rust falling on your face and in the eyes is by far the most annoying part!

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like all the gentlemen above said, it's pretty straight forward. In simplest terms, after you get all your wiring out of the way, it's just good old fashioned nuts and bolts.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, if its not raining or snowing today I'll give it a try. I have an electric impact and pretty sure I have a 18mm socket, not sure on a wrench though.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got to looking under the truck yesterday and sprayed the bolt i think i need to come loose with liquid wrench.I think it was 6 or 8 bolts attached to the frame right? I have to take the hitch off first which was two or three from the bottom and then there was three or four on the sides.
Does this sound about right?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Got to looking under the truck yesterday and sprayed the bolt i think i need to come loose with liquid wrench.I think it was 6 or 8 bolts attached to the frame right? I have to take the hitch off first which was two or three from the bottom and then there was three or four on the sides.
Does this sound about right?

Yep, more or less, I haven't looked in awhile. I'm pretty sure I had an up and lower right on the rail, and then one out on an outrigger. I didn't have to remove my hitch to pull my bumper.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to pull the hitch off anyway. The front side of it is completely ate with rust. And the top part of the bumper is gone too.