Is my fuel pump going out? !HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
So today I went to put a new battery in for my sound system, changed out the battery, and the fuel pump wont kick on? put the old battery back in, fuel pump still doesnt kick on? took the battery out let it sit for a while then put the new battery in, and the fuel pump still isnt working!? Iv checked all the fuses, and the fuel pump relay only to find they are all fine.... My truck obviously isnt going to start without a fuel pump, and i need my truck for work. All the other electrical stuff works, and the system makes a clicking sound as if its sending an electrical signal for the pump to turn on. my best guess is that the pump just gave out. any ideas?

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Well, when they do go...it's usually deader than a door nail with no warning. If you've checked everything else I say it's shot. I'm waiting on mine to go :uhoh2:

98chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you hit the bottom of the tank you should be able to get it to run for a little while longer. I was able to get another 2 months out of mine from the time it started acting up til it finally stranded me

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya just kit the fuel tank and if you can get it to start after that its going to be the pump.

My grandpas 74 had me stranded miles from the farm and i had to get out and kick it a few times to get the thing to limp me back home

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
yes im getting a spark and the engine is cranking. I just dont here that hum from the fuel pump, and thanks on the info about kicking the tank il go try it and see if i cant run my truck to a shop. Thanks every one :)

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Theres a guy on the SS forum that has one for sale. It's an holley (I think) 255 LPH one so if you ever do any big mods to the truck the fuel pump should be able to keep up. I think he only wants like $50 plus shipping.

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
Theres a guy on the SS forum that has one for sale. It's an holley (I think) 255 LPH one so if you ever do any big mods to the truck the fuel pump should be able to keep up. I think he only wants like $50 plus shipping.
alright thanks man :)