IRS in a gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wikipedia says 2006-2011 3-series. My race team kept the ABS on our '95 BMW and it makes a significant difference in stopping capability. It's been very reliable, the brakes bleed without special tools, and the only problem we've had was a self-induced wiring issue.
That’s good to hear, I’m not sure what module is on that car maybe a mk20? I’ve never driven an older bmw but have plenty of seat time in a 2015 435i sporting a mk100 and love the ABS in that car. I’ve had an emergency stop in the rain and it just works flawlessly. Haven’t been able to really test the DSC function but I would like to.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Wikipedia says 2006-2011 3-series. My race team kept the ABS on our '95 BMW and it makes a significant difference in stopping capability. It's been very reliable, the brakes bleed without special tools, and the only problem we've had was a self-induced wiring issue.

Good ABS is awesome. We were not blessed with that in these trucks. I autocrosses my Z06 for the first time in forever last year and was reminded of how great it is. My Camaro isn't allowed to run it which is what I usually run.

Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's faster to not engage ABS. You want to be just on the threshold of it kicking in.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's faster to not engage ABS. You want to be just on the threshold of it kicking in.

What about braking and turning? That outer front can do its thing with ABS active. Without you're sacrificing some braking power. You still have to dance on the pedal to manage rotation, but I'd forgotten how useful it can be when the car isn't settled.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about braking and turning? That outer front can do its thing with ABS active. Without you're sacrificing some braking power. You still have to dance on the pedal to manage rotation, but I'd forgotten how useful it can be when the car isn't settled.

You mean trail braking? 80% of your braking should already be done at the point, and you should be coming off the brakes.

If you're adding steering input with the brakes to the floor, you're very likely to spin even with ABS.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You mean trail braking? 80% of your braking should already be done at the point, and you should be coming off the brakes.

If you're adding steering input with the brakes to the floor, you're very likely to spin even with ABS.

Not trail braking, I'm talking where the front of the car is unevenly loaded on brake application.

How come, too many illegal parts/tune?

It's the Camaro Mustang Challenge, so 3rd/4th gen Camaros and Fox/SN95/Edge Mustangs. Not all the cars were available with ABS so it's removed from the equation.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not trail braking, I'm talking where the front of the car is unevenly loaded on brake application.

My first thought is: don't brake there.

Threshold braking will stop shorter than ABS which will stop shorter than a lockup. If you can stop shorter, you can be on the gas longer.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My first thought is: don't brake there.

Threshold braking will stop shorter than ABS which will stop shorter than a lockup. If you can stop shorter, you can be on the gas longer.

So just don't autocross? Distance between cones can be pretty short. The correct answer on a track is to manhandle the thing and get it squared up, but even that isn't 100%. Slightly slower brake application is the correct answer there.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So just don't autocross? Distance between cones can be pretty short. The correct answer on a track is to manhandle the thing and get it squared up, but even that isn't 100%. Slightly slower brake application is the correct answer there.

Yeah, I don't auto-x. One reason is I am not good at showing up fast. I need to build up confidence, which usually by then you know the tricky spots.

Sometimes a lift is the correct answer.