IRS in a gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just rigged up this mess of wires to a battery and the amount of assist this thing gives is crazy. Unplugged I cannot press in the plunger at all. Plug it in and I can easily do it with 1 finger. I’m excited to get this installed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I already got the brackets cnc laser cut and they are on the way but I think I decided I’m gonna use a 5th or 6th gen zl1 master instead. I did some math and with the NBS master I can get about 1350psi at 100 pounds of pedal pressure. With the ZL1 master and a different pedal ratio I can get 1750psi at 50 pounds of pedal pressure. This would have about 20% more pedal travel than what I currently have but it’s super short right now anyway. The ZL1 setup might be touchy but once I get control of the computer I can turn the amount of assist down.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aluminum adapters came in today for the Ibooster. They both work as they should but it doesn’t really matter since I won’t be using either of them anymore. I got the zl1 master mounted to the Ibooster using a 3/16” spacer to account for the pushrod length. I was trying to still use the adapter for the booster to the truck but it is not clocked right for the zl1 master. I cannot drill new holes in it because it will overlap with the stud holes.

Attachments

• IMG_1619.jpeg
    IMG_1619.jpeg
    205.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1620.jpeg
    IMG_1620.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 24

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on getting this wiring harness cleaned up today since I’m not using half the stuff on it anymore. Also wiring the steering/brakes into the fuse box.

I picked up this 89 iroc with a 350tpi for $500. Runs and drives but has a misfire. This will be my next project once the truck is done, but will the truck ever actually be done?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on getting this wiring harness cleaned up today since I’m not using half the stuff on it anymore. Also wiring the steering/brakes into the fuse box.

I picked up this 89 iroc with a 350tpi for $500. Runs and drives but has a misfire. This will be my next project once the truck is done, but will the truck ever actually be done?
Neither will be. :Good or Bad:

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been toying with the idea of doing a cantilever and having inboard coil overs on the front. I’ve already done the math and taken the measurements. I could effectively get a progressive spring rate and dampening effect, being about 45% stiffer at full compression compared to full droop. I just don’t know if the added complexity is really worth it. About my only reason for doing it would be it looks cool. Do I send it with the cantilever or just go with a tried and true conventional setup?

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say keep it simple, but you've already gone IRS. What was your motivation for that? Do you still feel that motivation? If so, you know your path.
My goal has always been a street friendly truck with impeccable handling. The reason for most of what I have done was keeping it on a budget. I have been able to do things like IRS and it was far cheaper than building my old rear end/suspension/brakes to handle 600+whp. I have had a reason behind almost everything I have done up to this point. I think pushrod suspension just adds an unnecessary cool factor to a truck that’s already deep into uncharted territory.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a sneak peak of what I got going on. Still getting everything figured out but it’s coming together. I made the cantilever with the original intention of having the coilovers towards the front of the truck but decided I’m gonna put them towards the rear and I now need to remake this cantilever to correct some geometry. I will try and make the new cantilevers a bit prettier.