Into + Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Varvis

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm Nick. Just joined this place now and I'm looking to buy a GMT400 soon hopefully as my first truck.

Here's to the quick question part, I'm looking at this '98 Chevy K1500.

Here's a lil bit more info:

-257,000 Km's (around 160,000 miles)
-Z71
-Completely stock except new headlights (which is what I'm looking for, so I'll be able to customize it myself)

Pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

Guy wants $5000 for it, and that's the lowest he'd go. From the pictures, it looks like there isn't any rust truly visible (when I go to see it in person I'll look a lot more thoroughly) which is really rare since I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada where the salt the roads REAL heavily.

What do you guys think of it? Figured I would ask what you guys think as you guys all have lots of experience with GMT400's.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
:welcome: Really clean truck. I personally wouldn't pay $5 grand for a 14 year old truck. Still a great truck though.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Welcome!!! Honestly if its completely rust free and it doesn't have to many miles on it i think its an ok price. or at least thats about what they go for around here! Good Luck!

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

The suicide knob on the steering wheel is great.

Places where they like to rust...
- front fenders behind the trim and where the inside fender meets the inner fender
- cab corners/rocker panels
- 3rd door
- bottom of driver's door is really common
- rear wheel wells - behind trim
- tailgate hinge mounting area

Tough to tell in your pics, but it looks like maybe some paintwork was done on the driver's side lower ext cab/cab corner. The interior looks decent. Keep in mind the 4L60e transmissions (half ton) and the 10 bolt rear ends (half ton) are prone to failure. I would make certain the truck shifts fine and there is no noise from the rear diff. It looks to be electronic 4wd as well, so I would make certain the system works in all three modes properly. Obviously all other elements of this truck should be checked over as well.

Last edited:

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score

Id be careful with the knob! my uncle had one in his truck and wrecked into a ditch and the wheel turned really fast and broke his wrist. May have just have been a freak accident but I personally stay away from them.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Welcome, fellow Canadian!
That's a nice truck, being that it's from Edmunchuck. Little pricey, though.
In some areas the wheel knobs sre illegal.

Varvis

Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

Places where they like to rust...
- front fenders behind the trim and where the inside fender meets the inner fender
- cab corners/rocker panels
- 3rd door
- bottom of driver's door is really common
- rear wheel wells - behind trim
- tailgate hinge mounting area

Tough to tell in your pics, but it looks like maybe some paintwork was done on the driver's side lower ext cab/cab corner. The interior looks decent. Keep in mind the 4L60e transmissions (half ton) and the 10 bolt rear ends (half ton) are prone to failure. I would make certain the truck shifts fine and there is no noise from the rear diff. It looks to be electronic 4wd as well, so I would make certain the system works in all three modes properly. Obviously all other elements of this truck should be checked over as well.

Thanks for the great reply. I'll make sure to do my best to check out those things, especially making sure there's no transmission slipping of any kind and the engine isn't making any funny sounding noises.

Welcome, fellow Canadian!
That's a nice truck, being that it's from Edmunchuck. Little pricey, though.
In some areas the wheel knobs sre illegal.

Yeah, I figured. Real shame 'cause they're pretty fun to use from what I've heard (except in the case of oohunter04oo's uncle. I've broken my wrist before and it isn't much fun). Also, it's nice to see some other Canadians here.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Id be careful with the knob! my uncle had one in his truck and wrecked into a ditch and the wheel turned really fast and broke his wrist. May have just have been a freak accident but I personally stay away from them.

I was being sarcastic (but forgot to add the smiley :banghead: ). I'm no fan of them. They look ridiculous.