Intermittent SES light after header install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reset the computer and rechecked codes. Only getting code 12 ERROR CODE DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM FUNCTIONING CORRECTLY .

I'll have to take her for a spin to see if the light comes again. Hopefully not. Thanks for all of your help!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don't recall disconnecting any EGR hardware when I removed my factory manifolds. Is their a port in the head that I may have blocked or something? Thanks. I'll reset my computer today.

Thinking back, that was air pump garbage that was on my TBI manifolds (it's been a while). EGR is internal, isn't it? It's the Vortec that has the external EGR pipe coming off the manifold. Either way I got the code 32 on my TBI truck with long tubes but I also removed the valve and installed a blockoff plate. Truck seemed to be happy that way, my guess is because it knew the EGR system was faulty it never turned it on and switched the fuel/spark maps over which is what causes problems with an EGR that's been removed.

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, TBI heads are internal EGR. The stock manifolds just had a heat riser for warming the intake.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is a block off plate all that is required to delete EGR. Personally I'd rather remove it than replace it.

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'll need to disable it in the PCM also, unless you want the SES light on all the time.