Intermittent SES light after header install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
SES light

Have had a SES light come on two separate occasions since installing long tube headers. Currently running open headers(exhaust is getting fabricated on 8/18) light shuts off after stopping at a red light or stop sign. Is it possible that my O2 sensor isn't staying hot enough? Would be be wise to install a heated O2 sensor if the problem persists after my exhaust is installed? O2 sensor is welded into the header reducer.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
A one wire O2 sensor's recommended service life is 30,000 miles?
I would imagine it has likely been damaged since some guy WELDED IT INTO A HEADER COLLECTOR.
It will never work or run right with open pipes anyway. The 18th is 2 more days?
When you are at the muffler shop, it is well advised to have the muffler guy get that thing out of the collector while you are there.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
O2 sensor has less than 1000 miles on it. What I meant to say was that I had a O2 sensor bung welded into the header reducer. The O2 sensor is not damaged. Hopefully having the remainder of the exhaust placed on the truck mitigates the situation.

Thanks

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's actually recommended that if you are opening up the exhaust to flow better that you convert to a 3 wire O2 sensor(heater O2 sensor)

sent from what use to be a great country...

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: exhaust is finished(2.5" true duals) still getting SES light when driving on the highway. Going to install a 3 wire heated O2 sensor. Will update once complete.

Thanks

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Decided to pull the codes from the computer via the paperclip trick before spending any money.

13 Oxygen sensor voltage stays between 0.35 and 0.55 volts for 60 seconds.

32 EGR open command did not change MAP sensor signal. Normal EGR flow should cause slight decrease in manifold vacuum which would change MAP sensor signal.

What is the best way to approach these codes? I'm thinking:

-Replace 1 wire O2 sensor with heated, 3 wire O2 sensor.
-Clean/replace EGR valve.
-Replace MAP sensor.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Do your headers have an EGR provision? You didn't really say, but you make it sound like they do. If the EGR flow is insufficient, make sure the valve and passages are clean. Or get it turned off with a chip. Don't bother replacing the MAP sensor, the MAP sensor is what tells the computer that the EGR cracked open and began to flow. If your MAP sensor wasn't working right you'd have a lot of other driveability issues. Upgrading the O2 sensor is a good idea, I never ran my TBI with a 1 wire O2 sensor and headers but I did run it with a 3 (or 4, I forget) wire sensor and headers and it never gave me any issues. Do you have any exhaust leaks? Especially near the O2 sensor? My 98 threw codes open header too but they went away once it was all sealed up. Another thing is are those codes current or historical? IIRC it will display the current codes first, then the historical. You could try resetting the computer and seeing what comes back if you're unsure what's current and historical, it may all be OK now that the exhaust is installed.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My headers do not have provisions for EGR. I plan on installing a 3 wire, heated O2 sensor. No leaks that I know of but I will double check tomorrow once it's light out. How do I reset the computer?

Thanks,
Eric

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If your headers have no EGR provision then you'really going to get EGR codes, that's the same code I got when I put headers on my truck. You can either state at the SES light or get a chip burned to disable EGR. Either way, you should block it off or disconnect the vacuum line. To reset the computer just unplug the battery for like 15 minutes and recheck the codes. If they'really gone like they should be, then your computer is reset. Chances are it set the O2 code when open header and it might be happy now.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't recall disconnecting any EGR hardware when I removed my factory manifolds. Is their a port in the head that I may have blocked or something? Thanks. I'll reset my computer today.