Intake gaskets leaking and looking at maybe a new intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time poster here though i've been a member for a while now. I have a '89 C1500 Silverado, reg. long bed with a 350 and 700R4 RWD. Has 128,000miles on it. Was bought brand new by my paw paw back in '89. Have the original paper work, dealer stuff. He gave it to me when i was 13 in 2005 and not to long after in late '07 he passed at the age of 86 :( i had it shipped from Mississippi to Washington in 2010 and ever since its been a work in progress. But the light at the end of the tunnel is being seen. I'll make a build thread soon and post some pictures and the story of the truck later.

Anyways, this past Wednesday popped the hood noticed theirs coolant around the cooling neck. Thought oh i need a gasket and will change the Tstat also. Well thursday comes drive home pop the hood again, no coolant but i notice coolant kinda bubbling up around where the intake meets the heads ontop of the engine so yeah need intake gaskets. Engines never been opened up ever. I was wondering should i go ahead and replace the valve guides since it'll be broken down that far also? I mean it does puff blue smoke when its been sitting over night.

What intake gaskets should i buy or what brand i mean? I was thinking of going ahead and buying a whole new intake but i'm kinda confused as to whats compatable with my TBI heads. Like i was thinking of buying the Edelbrock 3704 - Edelbrock Performer TBI manifold http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/3704/10002/-1

Would i need to do a tune to my trucks computer if i do buy that one? I've heard some people had lean running issues while others didn't. Also if i were to go with this intake should i just go ahead and get a TBI spacer since its down that far and do that mod?

I was also considering a carb manifold and then putting a carb to TBI adaptor so i can keep my TBI because it is cheaper than buying the manifold above sometimes. But what manifold should i get? I want to keep my EGR valve still so my SES light doesn't stay on....would this manifold work? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-300-64/overview/year/1989/make/chevrolet/model/c1500 or http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-3706/overview/year/1989/make/chevrolet/model/c1500

Obviously i will need a adaptor plate with either one of those carb intakes i know. Also, if i do go with one of the carb intakes with the adaptor will i need to do anything about my TV cable linkage?

Any help would be appreciated, i need to get my truck back up and running because its my daily driver and i need it to go back and forth from school.

Thanks, sorry for the newb questions lol

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Just get a good set of felpro gaskets.

I would get the carb manifold. But if you get the carb manifold you will need to tune anyways so I wouldn't worry about the EGR. Just have the tuner tune it out.

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I would need to tune anyways if i get any carb manifold your saying? I didn't know that. I read it as you can just put that one on with the adaptor and your driving just like with the TBI manifold from Edelbrock?

Typically, how much do tunes run anyways? I'm not putting a new cam or anything in the truck. Just trying to get it back on the road. And idk how long it would take for a tune to be done or cost cause i'm a kid on a budget lol...Might just bolt up a set of shortys to get rid of the old exhaust manifolds since i'm in there if i have extra cash after the major stuff.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like horns said get felpro gaskets, just be sure to get a good bead of silicone on the front and back of the block, especially in the valleys. Be prepared for the 'quick' connector for the heater hose (on back of intake) to break. If replacing the intake its not an issue, just put a straight coolant nipple back in.

I run the edlebrock intake on my 92, also installed new chip from tbichips.com at the same time. Had a nice gain in power and throttle response. If just doing the intake then I doubt a chip will be needed.

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so i'll be getting the felpro gasket set for it. Prolly gonna paint the valve covers while i'm at it too to make everything cleaner and nice.

As for the intakes, since i'll prolly be tapped out on cash to buy a new chip or do a tune, will either of those carb intakes work with the TBI heads? Only thing though is what do i do about my EGR valve? On the carb intakes it looks like i'd have to fab up some tube or something for the EGR vavle to work...Starting to think i might just buy the edelbrock TBI intake so i have no problems or anything. Although their is a cost difference in the 2.

Last edited:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You could probably do a carb intake without a tune and not have too many issues. You could also run without the EGR and not have Major issues. It just won't run 100% as good as it should.

The other thing about a tune is it will unlock a lot more in the engine then just making sure it will work with the aftermarket parts. The tune will make even a stock engine perform much better.

I would just get the carb intake now, and save your money for the next couple of months. A custom tune from TBIchips.com (very well known) is $350. So it's not horribly expensive.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, (its been a while since I have had to look into it) the tbi and carb heads are different. It is the 4 center bolts are on different angles I think. For just the intake you wont need a full custom tune, just a stage 1 chip will do and be cheaper. The truck will run fine with stock tune but you will see more gains from a tune.

Last edited:

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When i called Summit and Jegs they said that the 2104 edelbrock carb intake this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2104/overview/year/1989/make/chevrolet/model/c1500 and this summit intake: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-226016/overview/year/1989/make/chevrolet/model/c1500 and this Holley intake: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-300-64/media/images/year/1989/make/chevrolet/model/c1500

Said all those will work with the TBI heads and the only thing is i will have to buy a TBI to carb adaptor.

What i may just do is either use the existing intake on the truck, clean it up, powder-coat it and put it back on with a TBI spacer ontop. Orr go ahead and buy a carb intake but have to live with my SES light til i get a tune done. Will having the SES light on cause of the EGR affect gas mileage or anything?

BTW, whats a good TBI spacer to get?