Instrument Cluster Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
About 5 years ago I pulled the instrument cluster to add red LED back lights. Problem happened when pulling needles off. To this day I have the water temp and speedo messed up. Water temp doesn't move. It sits all way at far left (100* I think) and my speedo is roughly 30 mph too slow. It only starts increasing after hitting roughly 30mph where it then will climb proportionately. Ex: it'll show 40mph when going 70mph, still the 30 mosh difference.

Is there a correct way to fix these? If I pull the cluster, how do I fix the needles, how would I know if they're right without driving it?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
For the speedo in my '98, I used a GPS speedo on my iphone. ('HUD Awesome')
Installed the gauges without the plastic screen, took the truck out on the highway, set the cruise @ 60mph according to the GPS, stuck the needle on.
It was a bit harder to do with the '97 & no cruise. Actually quite a bit harder!

Haven`t found a GPS speedo app for the new droid phone though.

I took a pic of my gauges when the truck was warmed up to get the other needles right. But that doesn`t help you any.
Someone else will have to chime in with the info for your temp gauge.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
easiest way for the temp if you have access to a code reader that will give you readings while the motor is running get it to temp and place the needle have the cluster installed just as al said above with out the clear face on it

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
With a full tank of gas and the motor dead cold, you could pull out the "stoppers" for the tach and speedo needles, then set the needles (besides fuel and volt) to zero with the ignition on, but without the engine running. Set the fuel needle to full and set the voltage gauge according to a meter. It's a crappy way to do it, but it might get you in the ballpark again.

easiest way for the temp if you have access to a code reader that will give you readings while the motor is running get it to temp and place the needle have the cluster installed just as al said above with out the clear face on it
Agreed. A good scanner should show you all the info you need.

For the 96+ OBD2 vehicles, I use DashCommand on my iPhone with a Wi-Fi OBD2 scanner. For the earlier OBD1 trucks, you would need a laptop with an ALDL cable and the correct software.

Best option may be to just send it to a speedometer repair shop. I've had good luck with Advanced Auto Electronics: http://www.aaellc.com/

Reaction score

That sounds like a plan. Is this 1999 OBS Tahoe OBD1 or OBD2?

Reaction score
I just have to find an adapter and a way to display the data in real time. Okay, thanks

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Installed the gauges without the plastic screen, took the truck out on the highway, set the cruise @ 60mph according to the GPS, stuck the needle on.
It was a bit harder to do with the '97 & no cruise. Actually quite a bit harder!

I took a pic of my gauges when the truck was warmed up to get the other needles right. But that doesn`t help you any.

How would I go about doing that with moonies? I bought an SS cluster and I'm 5 under?!

Last edited:

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any advice, or could anyone point me to a topic that would help?

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I use this one called GPS speed free. Works great.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thedroiddev.gpsspeed