Installing a posi-locker into an open diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I thought I had a G80 posi-locker in my truck, but it turns out I have an open diff. My question is really about plug and play compatibility - what posi-lockers fit inside the stock housing on a 6 lug 4x4, will those lockers require any major mods to install, does it matter that I have push button 4x4, etc? Basically looking for an idea of total amount of commitment involved.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought hard about installing a locker into my open diff on my 97. I found Powertrax to be about the best. They should have one for your truck. There lock rite is around $350. And the more streetable no slip is around $500. It takes about 1 day for the install. Straight forward install. Remove the spider gears, and replace with the locker. Here is what Summit has. http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/powertrax?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&page=2

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
I thought hard about installing a locker into my open diff on my 97. I found Powertrax to be about the best. They should have one for your truck. There lock rite is around $350. And the more streetable no slip is around $500. It takes about 1 day for the install. Straight forward install. Remove the spider gears, and replace with the locker. Here is what Summit has. http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/powertrax?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&page=2

My two concerns are driveability and traction off-road/diverse conditions. I use the truck for light off-roading but we have extreme/heavy winters (Canada, eh). I need to know that I can get through all that, and when the snow and mud is gone I won't have issues with noise, skipping, etc.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
LOL it doesn't snow here, but there is a lot of rain and mud. That being said, The no slip is most likely what you want. The locker will not lock up until it see's torque under acceleration. The no slip uses a easer locking system that the lock rite. the lock rite has gears that lock to engage both axels and gives a harder engage-disengage feel. From all my research, the lock rite is more for heavy off road (mud trucks, rock crawler, ect.), and the no slip is more for street, off road. My goal was to give my 2WD 325 HP 350 some bite. I drive my truck every day in a lot of small city traffic. Corner turning under heavy acceleration is a must for me, so a locker is not what I need. The tires would lock under these conditions causing excessive tire wear. As long as you use light acceleration while cornering the locker will not engage.

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I were you I'd just find an entire G80 rear axle to install. If its more of a DD / occasional off roader they are just fine. Just make sure its engaged before you stomp on the skinny pedal and they hold up fairly well.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Powertrax and "best" used in the same sentence? That's a new one for me. I've never heard of them in anything other than budget installs. If you're looking for the best then IMO you want an Eaton, either a TrueTrac or a Detroit Locker depending on how you want it to behave.

You need to determine what size your differential is and then you can start shopping for carriers. 10 bolt? 14 bolt?

An extra note about G80s, don't do it man. I own two of them and they're awful. Unlock at over 15mph no matter what, and never seem to work when you need them. Don't put yourself through all that work for a terrible G80, you'll hate yourself for it when there's so many better options.

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Powertrax and "best" used in the same sentence? That's a new one for me. I've never heard of them in anything other than budget installs. If you're looking for the best then IMO you want an Eaton, either a TrueTrac or a Detroit Locker depending on how you want it to behave.

You need to determine what size your differential is and then you can start shopping for carriers. 10 bolt? 14 bolt?

An extra note about G80s, don't do it man. I own two of them and they're awful. Unlock at over 15mph no matter what, and never seem to work when you need them. Don't put yourself through all that work for a terrible G80, you'll hate yourself for it when there's so many better options.

Seems hit and miss with these rear ends. G80 in both my trucks and I have no complaints. They both engage upon wheel spin and stay locked if you keep your foot in it.

But I do agree with Eaton, Detroit lockers being of the best out there.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
You must not have done much reasearch lol.
If I were you I'd just find an entire G80 rear axle to install. If its more of a DD / occasional off roader they are just fine. Just make sure its engaged before you stomp on the skinny pedal and they hold up fairly well.

Seems hit and miss with these rear ends. G80 in both my trucks and I have no complaints. They both engage upon wheel spin and stay locked if you keep your foot in it.

But I do agree with Eaton, Detroit lockers being of the best out there.
It's not hit and miss. It's a well known fact that g80s are junk. Very few people get lucky and find one that works. Sounds like you hot the jackpot. But I wouldn't go around telling other people to install a used one that 75% of the time is junk. Not to mention weaker than an open carrier

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Try keeping it locked above 15mph. I guarantee you it won't do it. Part of the design of the G80 in these trucks, some BS safety feature.

Neither of mine are technically broken so I'm doing pretty good, but I've driven a few vehicles with real lockers and the G80 is just awful in comparison. Just because it doesn't grenade for everyone (although it seems most do eventually) doesn't make it a good design.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
Try keeping it locked above 15mph. I guarantee you it won't do it. Part of the design of the G80 in these trucks, some BS safety feature.

Neither of mine are technically broken so I'm doing pretty good, but I've driven a few vehicles with real lockers and the G80 is just awful in comparison. Just because it doesn't grenade for everyone (although it seems most do eventually) doesn't make it a good design.

Mine pops out around 15-20. The stupid thing is if you are spinning and the locker kicks in and you still have wheel spin above 15 it is useless...

Sent from my 5.7 Vortec powered iPhone 5S using Tapatalk.