Injector has an STD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replaced fuel pump, truck starts, misses badly, backfires...feathering throttle does very little to keep her running, she bogs down and tries to die. I didn't pull codes yet, but I noticed that one of my TBI injectors is dripping like it has Gonorrhea. This begins as soon as I turn key on and it keeps going well after the key is off...the other one doesn't do this. Being that I hate TBI and that causes me to know very little about it, I would say that 50% of the injectors are screwed up because one drips and one doesn't. I'd go as far as to guess that the one that is dripping is the one that has a problem.

What now cat? What now?

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just swap out your leaking injector and it should clear up, once you turn the key off the injectors should stop leaking fuel, they should also be spraying in a 'cone' like pattern

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the insight, do you know if there are any special gaskets or O-rings or anything that I'll need to order/purchase seperately when swapping an injector? It's going to have to be a special order and I'd like to get everything in one shot if possible. Thanks.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
the upper housing that you take off to get to the injectors has a gasket, the injectors have o rings on them, i have to take a look at the one i have down in the garage, i think there may be a 2nd gasket that seals the fuel return.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say get a throttle body rebuild kit along with your injector. Rockauto lists the following:

Standard Motor Products #1704
Airtex/Wells #2G1009

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen. This is chapping my asscheeks a little because I have a fresh 476 CID (454 .100 over) in my garage waiting to get dropped in. Really just a matter of a few parts and the time to do it...and instead I'm putting money into a throttle body that I'm going to take a sledge hammer to after the original motor is pulled out.