Info on NV4500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Im looking for information on the NV4500 Manual... I read some where that the '92+ is the better one ... is it true? heres a bunch of questions
I need to bolt up to a 454 2wd
basicly want to know whats the best years,
will a 4wd one work on a 2wd, if not what needs to happen?
Will the 6.5 diesel one bolt up to the 454
is their any other brand that will bolt up? Dadge/ford

What do I need to know ???

I know nothing about Transmissions!!

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bolt patterns are same and the 92+ has a shorter first gear 5.61 instead of 6.34 and a 4x4 can be swapped to a 2x4 with a new rear tail housing and main shaft Atleast

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
92+ better? Considering the trans started in 92...I have no idea what you mean by that.

A GM bellhousing is a GM bellhousing is a GM bellhousing. NOW, I will say, while the shape/pattern is the same I know the LS motor uses 12 o'clock and abandons 1:30, how that reflects on the NV-4500 bellhousing, I do not know. 92-95 = external slave cylinder, 96+ = internal slave/throwout bearing combo. The bellhousing to trans pattern changes in 95, IIRC. 95 is a bit of an oddball with one-year-only things going on. The later ones are fully synchronized, 1st & Reverse included. I think the later ones had a governor/detent mechanism that prevents shifts into Reverse while in Fwd motion. I feel like I'm regurgitating: THIS, did you read it?

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They all have the downshift preventer and 96+ is internal slave. Either trans is good and the difference is just the ratio of first gear and it's better or worse depending on what you use it for. The bell housing pattern is identical for every gm motor until the ls motors

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hehe, someone beat me to it on the 1992 issue. :D

You can read a bit about them on the main page at www.nv4500.com as well.

Though this quote from the page caught me a little off guard,

"General Motors applications include it as an option in 3/4 and 1-ton full size trucks with a GVWR of more than 8500 pounds. GM also built about 20,000 (rare) 2WD, 1/2 Ton trucks with a 4.3 V-6, that used an NV4500 to increase their towing capacity."

Yeah. And some even rarer 2WD 1/2 tons with the 5.7 and NV4500. Like my '94 GMC. :D MT8 right there on the SPID label, factory equipment.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

reno124

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought one outta 92 4x4 3/4 ton for the 6.34 ratio in 1st gear

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
thanks guys, im going to read abit about these articles and check it out... as far as the tranny availability, seems hard to find around here!

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Does any one have any threads on these trannys ... Im looking for know if they were available in NBS trucks, and are they able to make work with the 454... Or what Dodge trucks had them? and what does it take to convert ... Basicly im trying to make my hunt on finding one easier.... Their all very costly around here but if I could find a whole truck with one, I may be able to steal the peddle assembly, tranny and everything else needed and part the truck out and brake even!

LS2Goat

Reaction score
Dodge trans is the same animal, different input shaft... the top covers changed somewhere in the mid 90's, i wanna say 95? The 4 bolt top cover makes maneuvering the trans in and out a bit easier as it isn't as tall as the earlier ones. The top covers swap out with one another though. I've got the external slave cylinder bell housing behind my ls swap and it works a-ok, I just had to lose the 12 oclock bolt. Any gm nv4500 will bolt to any gm engine. The only difference between an nv4500 behind a 6.5 and any other gm nv4500 is a vibration dampner on the mainshaft, but it doesn't make a dang bit of difference.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
Dodge trans is the same animal, different input shaft... the top covers changed somewhere in the mid 90's, i wanna say 95? The 4 bolt top cover makes maneuvering the trans in and out a bit easier as it isn't as tall as the earlier ones. The top covers swap out with one another though. I've got the external slave cylinder bell housing behind my ls swap and it works a-ok, I just had to lose the 12 oclock bolt. Any gm nv4500 will bolt to any gm engine. The only difference between an nv4500 behind a 6.5 and any other gm nv4500 is a vibration dampner on the mainshaft, but it doesn't make a dang bit of difference.

I am gathering parts to put an early NV-4500 behind an LQ4 as well, question for you... My LQ4 block has 12:00 drilled and tapped, 1:30 is not drilled but the material is there (from what I understand it can be but it goes into a water jacket); and my external slave housing has no 12:00 drilled but it does have 1:30. As-is, if I bolt it together I am loosing 12:00 & 1:30, how did you get away with only loosing 12:00?