in need of advice for clutch kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sharky1

Reaction score
my truck is in need of a new clutch. ive been lookin around and dont undersatnd high damping, ceramic button or any of the jagon that is in the description of any clutch kit. so im new to the site and have searched around and had no luck on findin out what is a good clutch kit. i do plow when there is snow on the ground and i haul junk to the scrap yard and tow a 2 place sled trailer with my wheeler and a buddys wheeler and on some times with a wheeler in the bed aswell. so i need something on the heavy duty side of a clutch kit i think. truck has 3.42 gears and is kinda bagless when loaded. any thoughts would be great. thanx for any and all info.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
centerforce dual friction will take twice the torque of a stock clutch...i have run 500hp threw mine with no problems

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
IMO if you are running stock power and such i would stick with a stockish clutch setup. stock clutches can usually slip alittle more for smoother shifting while normal driving. but if you need a clutch with more grip then id go with a better clutch setup. but in all honesty i would just go for a stock OEM replacement pressure plate and clutch, and while its out throw out bearing and get flywheel resurfaced if you feel any imperfections on it! I HOPE well you should hope its still usable and can be resurfaced but you could always just buy a new flywheel as well if you dont want as much downtime. just dont cheap out. get a whole kit with all the extras. lets face it its alot of work to pull the two apart, it would suck alot to just order a clutch and have the pressure plate have bent forks or what ever they called and you have to wait even longer for parts to come in!

i havent done a truck yet but i did do new clutch setup on my old civic i had. and i believe the advice should be the same for all manuals! after replacing i never had any problems with mine. just gotta treat it like basic maintance... just because IT DOESNT NEED IT doesnt mean you should leave it alone when you can knock it all out one time! ive heard of people doing all that work and not replacing throw out bearing and then afew months or less since the swap it started making noises and they had to pull it all apart again for a small 20dollar bearing. and you dont want to have to do that.LOL

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i'd do a stock replacement clutch and all that god stuff, then change to probably a 14bolt sf with a set of atleast 3.73 gears

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I was going to also say get an oem replacement clutch, then re-gear! If your doing lots of towing I would definitely think about the gear ratios, my truck is the same way. Feather the hell out of the clutch when towing and she damn near eats the dirt before starting to go - can you say gutless?! Gears next on my list for my DD/Tow/4x4 truck.

sharky1

Reaction score
Thanx for the info. I went with a stock replacement LuK clutch with ceramic button whatever the hell that means. I plan to go with a set of 373s. When I gets the cash. I got a 1 ton ff rear and 1 ton ifs front end with 373s id like to put in but not sure if it all will fit

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Not sure how much the jump from 3.42 to 3.73 will make. 4.10s would probably be good, if you don't do an excessive amount of highway driving. Even then, still do-able, might use a little extra fuel.
With my 285/75/16s on basically stock 305, with the 5spd manual, i'm thinking of going from 3.73s to 4.10s. Not sure if engine is just pooched or what but she really dogs to get up and going sometimes.

sharky1

Reaction score
The truck is my daily driver and I use it for everything. Plowin towin/haulin. Of course I don't do these things ever day but when I do its a real dog and hard on the clutch. I got 265/75r16 tires and with 342s it does fine for every day drivin. Id just like that little extra sack when I need it.