In need of a Audio Recommendation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I need a little assistance.

First I'm very limited in space with my truck being a single cab so I MUST have a shallow mount, also my box is a .8cuft rockford fosgate box which limits me to a mounting depth of 4" and under.

My issue is, my p3 kicked the bucket prematurely and I'm getting a refund. I'm not looking to get a new p3 shallow since they aren't the quality they use to be. This is my 3rd p3 I'm having to warranty out. I'm currently looking at two subs to replace the p3 and I need a little direction wheich would be better for my application.

Headunit: Sony CDX-GT570UP
Amp: Rockford Fosgate R500.1D Not 1 ohm stable.
Mids: Rockford Fosgate T165
Rockford Fosgate T1462
Highs: Factory Tweeters (surprisingly decent given their age)

My mids and highs are running off headunit power.

The two subs I'm looking at are:
Pioneer TS-SW3002S4
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSS3002/Pioneer-TS-SW3002S4.html

Infinity REF1200S
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108REF120S/Infinity-REF1200S.html?search=Infinity_REF1200S&skipvs=T

Thanks In advance.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man, no offense but my gut says you must have something tuned terribly wrong to be blowing those P3S's like that. I've been running two of them with around 600W to each in my single cab for years and years now. Are you sure your amp is not clipping at high volumes? You might be asking too much of it and going a little overboard with the gain control. Too little power and too much volume knob can fry them too.

That said, I'd go with the Pioneers if you really want to switch it up.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man, no offense but my gut says you must have something tuned terribly wrong to be blowing those P3S's like that. I've been running two of them with around 600W to each in my single cab for years and years now. Are you sure your amp is not clipping at high volumes? You might be asking too much of it and going a little overboard with the gain control. Too little power and too much volume knob can fry them too.

That said, I'd go with the Pioneers if you really want to switch it up.

Checked for clipping via oscilloscope. None. Gains are properly set. ~6db bass boost via amp and sub is the only source of bass. Mids and highs are ran off my HPF on the headunit. LPF is set fo 60hz and lower.

First one came slapping out of the box the second one was shorted out and the 3rd one started rubbing coil in a week.

The first two played through one song before I returned them.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, The amp is ruled out since I'm currently driving two r2sd4-10's that I'm borrowing from a friend without issue.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Checked for clipping via oscilloscope. None. Gains are properly set. ~6db bass boost via amp and sub is the only source of bass. Mids and highs are ran off my HPF on the headunit. LPF is set fo 60hz and lower.

First one came slapping out of the box the second one was shorted out and the 3rd one started rubbing coil in a week.

The first two played through one song before I returned them.

Wow, that's terrible. Guess they really might have gone downhill since the first generation. Where have you been getting them from out of curiosity?

Just FYI though, that 6db bass boost on your amp is possibly doing you more harm than good. I run a very flat EQ curve and I've found that that turning off all extra frequency boosters or modifiers is the most predictable way to get a good tune. I set everything flat and then adjust gains, then adjust the EQ curve in the head unit if any specific frequency needs a boost (it won't need much). The amp's bass boost is kind of a placebo effect improvement when compared with my method, IMO. Just something to consider, your results may vary. Also my head unit has a 16-band digital EQ integrated so it's a little easier to do tings like this when compared to units that just have LOW MID HIGH - + settings.

EDIT - Not sure why I didn't ask this first... What variation of the P3S were you running, and how did you wire it up? Just want to make sure you were presenting a 2 ohm load to the amp.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortuneatly without maxing my gain out I won't have much bass without the bass boost. 6db is quite conservative since I don't distort even at full volume. Just for reference my amp can do all the way up to 18db bass boost. My head unit has a 7 band eq on it so that helps a bit but it dosnt do much for my sub. I could always just turn loudness on but that's just asking for distortion though.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unfortuneatly without maxing my gain out I won't have much bass without the bass boost.

This is kind of what I was expecting... I'm not trying to call you a liar but I've run into this problem more than once and it almost always ends up being someone just asking too much of a sub setup and pushing the amp to clip unknowingly with the bass boost. It's basically a second gain control that only applies to that frequency range. Who checked the signal with the scope? I'd be checking it again if I were you. Clipping can be almost unnoticeable in certain situations. You might be better off adding a second sub and better amp instead of using the boost if you really want more bass, these shallow subs are inherently much less loud than their standard depth counterparts.

Agree with you about the Loudness feature, that crap only makes junk sound better.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also again, what variation of P3S and how was it wired? There are a few different versions.

Sorry if I'm irritating with all the questions, just want to make sure all the bases are covered before we blame the hardware 100%.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortuneatly without maxing my gain out I won't have much bass without the bass boost.

I appologise I left out a crucial piece of information. With my setup you cant even hear the bass at low volumes (under 1/2 volume) without the bass boost. When I checked my amp for clipping I did it at 12db of bass boost and I ended up turning down my bass boost a little bit since it was being excessive at high volume. I've found that 6db is perfect especially since I haven't touched my gain since I initially set it. I double checked with a DVOM and I'm doing just over 400w with the bass boost at 6db.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well personally I'd disable the boost, crank the gain, retune and rescope it. If you're 110% sure that it's just a recurring hardware issue then I'd definitely try the Pioneers, I've heard good things about those. Not sure why you posted the 4 ohm version of them though, you need the 2 ohm SVC one for your amp.