im clueless

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i just got done rebuilding my 89 c1500 motor and i put it in to test is (without tranny) and i pluged everything in and when i co to start the truck i get a beep from inside the cab (as if the lights were on) but it only last about 3 seconds and when i co to start the truck it does nothing (as if you were trying to start it in drive) what is wrong? PLEASE HELP!!!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, assuming that you've double and triple checked all your wiring and connections, your starter is good, and your battery is charged, I would start by checking for power to the switched terminal on the starter solenoid. If it's getting power, and there's voltage on the main power wires to the starter, then you've probably got a bad ground or a dead starter. Before you go crawling under the truck, move the shifter from park down to drive and back and try starting again. If that doesn't work, go to neutral and try it. If it works after moving the shifter, or in neutral, you've got intermittent connection at the park terminal on your neutral safety switch or no connection at all, respectively. It should function in either position, though.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
what trans? if auto and linkage is just hanging there it could be pulling down on the shifter making it to not be in full park position and not tripping the safety switch, manual trans the safety switch is on the clutch petal so if you are turning the key without holding the petal down it will not engage the switch

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
how many small bolts are there for wiring on the starter? Lets start simple, and work out from there, also is the block connected to the battery (-)?