ignition modules and pickup coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
yeah I hate when that happens :banghead:

I got a radiator from the junk yard and hooked it all up built pressure and all of a sudden it started pissing everywhere. It looked like new, so it had me fooled.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
~$70 to your door for a replacement distributor with brass contacts in the cap.... $ 110 for just the shaft... sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Unfortunately, GM has been pricing replacement parts out of the reach of the common man, and they don't want to support old vehicles, they want you to buy the latest and greatest.

Honda on the other hand was quite happy to sell me odd items like breather heater hoses and even a shifter boot a half dozen years ago... and this being a car that at the time was over 20 years old.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
~$70 to your door for a replacement distributor with brass contacts in the cap.... $ 110 for just the shaft... sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Unfortunately, GM has been pricing replacement parts out of the reach of the common man, and they don't want to support old vehicles, they want you to buy the latest and greatest.

Honda on the other hand was quite happy to sell me odd items like breather heater hoses and even a shifter boot a half dozen years ago... and this being a car that at the time was over 20 years old.

Yup yup, just like the $75 drivers side door interior side armrest for my silverado. The mounting pins broke off. Not gonna pay $75 for one of these. Back when the truck was only 6 years old i replaced this armrest the firstvtime and it was only $20. I ended up drilling the centers of the stubs that were left using them as locating pins with a #40 drill bit and used these nice Mopar wide headed self tapping dash screws that i have plenty of. Now i just have to redye the vinyl to make it look like new.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, i put the new cardone select distributor in a few weeks ago that i got from rockauto and timed it with the advance wire unplugged for base timing. Everything seemed to run ok. Today on the way home from work i noticed it randomly stumbling at a steady rate of speed at 70mph, the tach needle would randomly twitch, and the shift light would flicker on and off during the twitching, and i would feel a power loss during this.

Is it possible i have a bum module? The truck seems to run fine when its cold. No problem going to work early in the morning. I had to make a stop on the way home this afternoon and everything got hot from heat soak under the hood. It was right after this, that the problem started this afternoon.

The truck also has an older accel E coil. Do these break down causing this sort of problem, or do they just quit altogether? The spark plugs are AC delco R43TS series and have about 7K on them as well, but somehow i doubt these are the problem.

I also need to note other than a minor random miss at idle, i did not have this issue before the original distributor module quit and left me on the side of the road, but have it after changing the distributor out. Nothing else was changed.

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
A coil generally will conk out when hot, and when you leave it sit, it will cool down and you can restart the truck.

It is possible you have a module issue.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn. And i hear dealing w rockauto with returns can be a pain. Back to the original question but now with a nuevo distributor. What would you recommend for a module. I hear the delco quality is now getting spotty, but the cost of their modules sure is pricey.

I have many choices at rockauto for a module.

Last edited:

Jacob

Reaction score
I have only had the modules just cause it to die at a stop but be able to restart imediatly.

If you try a cheap module I would buy two. They are easy to change out.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My brother may have a good usd spare ICM to send me to test. I will go from there after that. I am hoping i can fix this issue easily. I am not an electronics kind of guy. Prefer points. carbs, and non computerized electronic ignitions.