ignition/key question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96 burb.....when i bought it, the guy had only one key, and it was an old worn down copy, no originals. ive since had a new copy made, but its of the worn down previous copy.

the ignition isnt hard to turn like the other guys thread, but it will seem to lock up and not turn at all, almost as though the keys are so worn, theyre not properly engaging the tumblers. it takes several tries of jiggling and shaking to get the ignition to turn, and thats for both full on-start and off, to get the key out.

both copies can open all the doors normally, without jiggling. i have no key fob, was it available in 96?

question is, could the problem be just a worn down key, and not a bad ignition switch? if that is the case, is it possible to get an original key from GM, with the VIN number? id rather not get a new ignition switch, and have 2 separate keys for the door and switch. could a locksmith make a new original?

also, if it was available, what kind of key fob did the 96s have?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
At my local stealership, they made keys off the VIN right at the parts department, around $6 each with the original blanks, instead of aftermarket blanks. They work like they should, no jiggling the keys.

Same problem you had, worn out keys, the ignition tumblers themselves were fine. Add a bit of fine graphite powder to the ignition lock cylinder, this will help reduce the wear and tear on the keys.

Yes, there was a keyless entry option. The trucks with keyless entry are wired differently, so it's not a plug and play option to add to your vehicle if it was never equipped. There is a link with the RPO codes in it on this site to decipher if it came with keyless entry. Aftermarket kits are available to add keyless entry if you desire.

The OEM remote was slightly rectangular and about 5/16" thick.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
RPO code should be AU0. Rock Auto has new remotes ( complete, not a shell that uses your old circuit board ) for $52.79 USD..

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
At my local stealership, they made keys off the VIN right at the parts department, around $6 each with the original blanks, instead of aftermarket blanks. They work like they should, no jiggling the keys.
This ^^^ though for liability reasons, these days most will require you to show proof of ownership of the vehicle. In other words, title in your name. Not all will do this, but they should.

Richard

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Yes, I handed over the ownership to the vehicle showing I was the registered owner.

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys. I'll try a dealer this wknd, and check the rpo code. It's loaded, so I'm sure it came with a fob

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a place on Amazon called Keyless Entry Remotes, or something like that. I got a spare OEM remote from them for a good price (around 35 bucks, as near as I can recall). Comes with very simple programming instructions. Good service as well.

Echomirage

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well, i went to the stealership. $50 later, i have a factory key. 12 for the key, 35 for the code from GM. i wasnt surprised it was so much......its a dealer after all. but at least i have a brand new original key, and it works perfectly. turns the ignition without trouble.