IFS lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
1998 k1500 z71 extended cab shortbed

stock height, it needed a lift, i was gonna go big or go home and do a solid axle swap with 10" lift leafs for a pre 88...BUT along came a pro comp 6" for 250 bucks...just gotta pick up new rear leaf u bolts and start...

what should i know about? ive already come across drilling for bracketry and grinding old bump stops off...

im no king wrench but im nowhere near common, just looking for help and insight from others who have been there and done that.

any input would be appreciated, also gonna do a TB relocation, thats the only way to go.. THANKS!!

ohh, also heard TSL went out of business?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should be able to go to pro-comps website and download the install instructions from there. First make sure you have everything.

If you live where rust is an issue getting the T-bars out can be a HUGE PITA. Ended up cutting my keys with a torch to get bars out. Also check your front end parts all over if any wore no easier time to replace them then when putting the lift on. Spray bolts, T-bars, brake fitting with some penetrant a couple days before starting.

Other then that my superlift instal was pretty striaght forward just follow the instructions keep things loose till the end.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
ok cool, talked to my buddy who did a 6" knuckle kit and 3" bl, and he said it was ALL easy...

BUT does anyone know any sites or anyone selling TB relocators besides realift?

also, my truck just came up from down south not even any surface rust, so thats a plus. thanks for the input!!

Loss4wrds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my lift used also. It cost me $120 to order all new hardware for the kit but it was worth the $$ to have all new nuts and bolts in the proper bags to go with the instructions. Also like dirt said worth replacing any worn suspension parts while your in there. I did all new brake lines, ball joints, tierods, idler and pitman arms while I was in there.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
where can you order the necessary hardware? im done with ace hardware...also does anyone know where i can get a set of front brake lines used or cheap? please asap!!

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
From procomp. Or their sister company 4wheelparts will probably have it too if you call them or live near one.

97k1500z71

Reaction score
ok sweet, talked to pro comp 15 min ago, now heres my question...suspension lift wise, what is the difference in a autotrac and non autotrac lift? i never thought to check when i bought the lift used, mine is def non autotrac but is there any difference in the two kits as far as a arms and front bracketry go?

that would really suck if there is seeing as factory bump stops are gone....

for others needing info-
pro comp Toll Free: (800) 776-0767

as well as 4wd hardware 18004211050

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
there is no difference other than those trucks equipped with autotrac require a new driveshaft ($400) when lifted more than 3"s

97k1500z71

Reaction score
there is no difference other than those trucks equipped with autotrac require a new driveshaft ($400) when lifted more than 3"s

the autotrac appears to have a 3 piece rear a arm and diff mount, the larger bracket, ya know, which kinda sucks thats the one i got, thats the only reason i was wondering. also, looking through the pdf's it shows one using factory centerlink and my kit came with one huge bracket that your tie rods mount to and then your pitman and idler also mount to.

much appreciated Butch, nice looking truck too, i almost bought those wheels from my buddy when he bought 37x12.5r18s

Status
Not open for further replies.