I know this has probably been asked before...but caliper upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tamadrummer

Reaction score
1996 GMC K1500 ext cab 5.7L Z71

Forum noob here. Go easy on me lol

So, after some research, I have come to the conclusion that you can bolt on dual piston calipers from a similar year 3500 single rear wheel, then use six lug 2500 rotors, and then use 1500 pads. Am I getting this correct?
I have it all priced out and ready to buy, just want to confirm.

Also going to get braided stainless lines for better feel/pressure.

If I am right on this, lemme see your preferences! Budget is about $300 maybe $400.

Thanks guys!

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I would do this http://www.gmt400.com/threads/nbs-front-brake-swap-for-obs-trucks.17805/ with a 800 master cyl swap of swap to hydroboost brakes. Ive never talked to anyone who has done the 1 ton caliper swap but i would think since it has a bigger bore, it would need more fluid to push it out, which in turn should result in having to press the pedal further down. Hopefully someone who knows more can chime in. Check out sampuppy1’s build thread, he did a full abs delete with all new brakes with apperently amazing results.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
+1 on the nbs swap (the whole 9 yards, not just the mc), I looked at every other combo that fit with negligible results.

cant go wrong with the hydroboost too, although those mini stock rotors (actually smaller than on the mazda 3, nice work gm) on the obs will just shrivel faster with more squeeze.

i hope you enjoy your truck, imo brakes were by far the biggest prob on my burb

RedChevy44

Reaction score
6 lug 2500 rotors are the same as 6 lug 1500 rotors (at least as far as 4WD goes). The "Heavy Duty" half ton (9.5 rear ring gear aka semi-float 14 bolt) is the same as the light duty 3/4 ton. This applies to front and rear axles, frame, control arms, etc. I doubt the 1 ton calipers will bolt on as the knuckle is different, but I do not know that for sure.

Chevy man 88

Reaction score
6 lug 2500 rotors are the same as 6 lug 1500 rotors (at least as far as 4WD goes). The "Heavy Duty" half ton (9.5 rear ring gear aka semi-float 14 bolt) is the same as the light duty 3/4 ton. This applies to front and rear axles, frame, control arms, etc. I doubt the 1 ton calipers will bolt on as the knuckle is different, but I do not know that for sure.
2500 6lug rotors are not the same as 1500 6 lug rotors 2500 are at least 1/4 inch more inset