I know im new but i need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alc5m

Reaction score
My family just bought a 1997 suburban and everything seemed pretty sound on it, pretty cheap at 2400, but with 200000 miles

only things we had to replace were the idler pulley and the master cylinder and a brake line, then we also did the battery

as soon as we replaced that, the radio locked out (still stock of course)

it seemed ok, drove for about 3 days like that, and all of a sudden yesterday, when the headlights switch was in the "on" position, or the parking lamp one, the truck chimed like the key was out, but when the switch was "off", no chime

this is also where the lights started flickering, and the battery died.

We tried jumping it, and decided that it needed a new alt (no reading on the guage and truck kept dieing as soon as we took the jumpers off)
we drove and got a new remy 105amp alt and put it in

We thought this would fix it, but it still died right away

we got it to stay up and running for a short period of time to get it back home, we did a code reader on it and nothing came up

We are looking but cant seem to find any issues that would kill an alt or anything like that.

so any help would be appreciated.
if you guys think it has something to do with the pass lock tell me, i can always try the relearn

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check the number 4 fuse in the fuse block on the side of the dash. its a 10 amp. if it pops the gauge wont read anything and the truck wont charge.

alc5m

Reaction score
that was exactly what it was, thank you sir, any idea what could have blown that?

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Who knows how it blew. Possibly when you changed the battery something grounded out. But that should be a part of any no charge diagnostic. I went through the same deal before and it drove me nuts because no manuals I had made any mention of it. I had a feeling it might be that when you said the gauge no longer had a reading. That fuse will make the power and fuel gauge stop working and for some reason the truck wont charge without that circuit complete. So anybody whose gauge stops working and then the truck dies. Check your number 4 fuse!!

alc5m

Reaction score
Yeah. I suppose. Lol. But when my dad was driving it back we weren't to focused on gauges haha. Bu thanks again for the help, this was the difference between a Burban and an explorer to go up north. Haha