I’m at a loss here, wiring issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pjhanlo

Reaction score
Recently purchased a Chevy 93 c1500 5.7l.

The truck hasn’t been ran in two years. I have the engine sounding great, new battery and alternator. But after driving for about 5-10 minutes or multiple starts the truck will no longer start.

Fixed some grounding issues,

redid the block-firewall and valve-firewall connection because they were worn.

Redid both the grounds attaching to the thermostat.

Bat neg has the head ground attached.

Dashboard ground is connected to OEM location(I double checked some junkyard 1500s for the correct spot)

After doing all of this the car will start and the battery will stay at the same voltage, climbing very slowly.

When I turn on the headlights it drops by about .10 and then stop climbing, same with the turn signal.

The dashboard dials also jump with the indicator lights.

What is else could be causing the dashboard issue?? Am I missing a ground? Or possibly another issue?

Thank you

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
The 'Big 3' grounds are batt to engine, engine to body and engine or body to frame. Sometimes there's a batt to body as well.

But it sounds like its more of an alternator problem. Parts stores can bench test it for you. You may have gotten a dud.

Pjhanlo

Reaction score
It looks like my grounds are okay then, I’ll check the alternator at a local parts store and see what happens.

Thank you

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The circuit is pretty simple; check your 'gauges' fuse- is your battery lamp dark? Does it light up on key-on test? See that there is battery voltage at the alternator plug when the key is in the 'run' position.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pjhanlo

Reaction score
All wiring was good thank you for the diagram. Turned out to be a dud alternator, fixed my instruments and voltage readings thank you all