Hypertech Programmer help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tet97Chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just found a guy selling a Hypertech Power Programmer III on Kijiji (our Canadian version of Craigslist). Said he'd let it go for $60 with the K&N intake I'm buying from him anyways.

I have no prior experience or knowledge with programmers at all but from the homework that I have done price seems really good, and installation seems fairly minimal and straight forward.

Can someone help me out with some of the added benefits of having a programmer? Everything seems good, just not really sure what I need to be looking out for.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it unlocked? Not married to another vehicle... I have not heard anything good about the hypers.. everyone will tell you go with a Blackbear tune, but for $60 I would buy it just because

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Sounds like the seller smartened up, and realized the truth, that neither a K&N fipk nor a programmer does anything worthwhile for an L31 engine. Don't let him capitalize on YOUR ignorance.

The dough you're about to part with probably nears half or more of a far more beneficial performance "mod" for your truck. You should spend the money on tuning. Changes to the spark and fuel maps, changes to the torque management settings, power enrichment delay settings, etc. You cant do this with a programmer.

The ********* air filter housing is double walled for insulation from engine compartment heat. Air is fed to it through ducting that draws air from outside the truck. It is proven NOT to cause a breathing restriction. The engine gets as much air as it can physically consume through it.

An exposed air filter element draws warm or even hot air from inside the engine compartment.

Colder air makes for better combustion. The engine adjusts fuel metering based on among other things, intake air temperature (IAT). Warmer air means less fuel. Less fuel means less bang. Less bang means less power.

So, if the engine can already draw it's fill of the coldest possible air with the stock double wall insulated airbox, how does an "intake" help? Rhetorical question.

Tet97Chev

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, looks like I've got some more homework to do

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This ^^^!
Is it unlocked? Not married to another vehicle...

They can be unlocked by plugging into it your computer & clearing it's memory via their website.
Only thing I've found them useful for is adjusting the speedo for different size tires, removing the speed limiter & the ability to raise the rev limiter 500rpm.
As far as seat-of-the-pants performance gains? Not much benefit, if any.