Hydroboost steering not working correctly at low rpms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I changed my steering gearbox out a month or two ago and i've been having issues with my steering since then, most of the time it acts like its low on fluid or theres air in the line, like its really difficult to turn when i'm stopped. but if i give it some throttle it'll work a little better. I know it's full of fluid but it still does this. any idea what it is or how to fix it?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you get all the air out when you refilled the system?

What year is the truck an what engine?

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
95 c2500 with a 6.5 diesel. i bled them as good as i could. since its hydroboost i did the cycling from side to side on the steering wheel and working the brakes alot...i had it working fine for awhile after doing the swap then it acted like i hit another bubble and i had nothing at all, no power brakes or steering, got that worked out and it was fine for a little while then it got bad again like this where its really difficult to turn at low rpms and not moving.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like more air, I've heard it can be a pain to get it all out of the booster...

Your truck shouldn't have the wonderful evo steering so air is about all it can be.

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Evo steering? And if its more air, how would i go about getting the rest out? And could it be caused by a powersteering pump leaking? Like bad seals on it?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 4

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Hmmm....its either air or your PS pump is giving in. When I swapped to hydroboost on my 1/2 ton I bled them forever, because I was dumb and didn't bench bleed the master.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
BTW - EVO is a system put on the half ton trucks. It regulates the pressure so at different speeds the resistance in the steering wheel is constant. Like a parking lot vs 75 on the interstate. Look at the backside of your PS pump and if you have it you'll see a fitting coming out of the pump with a connector attached to it. You can't miss it.

95six.five

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahh okay. Nope, i don't have it... haha im pretty sure mine was a base model. Manual windows, locks, tranny, vinyl bench, rubber floors which i actually really like.
So do you think the PS pump is going out or what?

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Ahh okay. Nope, i don't have it... haha im pretty sure mine was a base model. Manual windows, locks, tranny, vinyl bench, rubber floors which i actually really like.
So do you think the PS pump is going out or what?

Its hard to say. You might want to try bleeding it again or having it power bled by someone. A new pump is gonna run over $100 and you don't want to throw parts at it.

Did you bleed them with the wheels off the ground?