HVAC issues - all actuators not functioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChainNlose

Reaction score
Hey all, first time poster and have tried to do as much research as possible on this before posting. None of the HVAC controls work aside from fan speed. All of the speeds work properly.

Truck is a 97 1500WT with ac, 4.3 auto, reg cab. A/c relay pulled for whatever reason, I have not replaced it, I am not concerned about the ac working. All fuses are good, not blown. I bought a new actuator to try out, so I installed one and does nothing when plugged in. Installed new HVAC control panel and nothing changed. The PO must have had a pretty mangled plug for the fan speed as a new one was half assed installed. I cut out all the hacks there and temporarily used butt connectors until I can fully figure this out.

I saw a post in regards to the 3 wire connector above the HVAC box assembly (12g red, 2 12g black) being all melted and destroyed. There was some minor warpage of the plug and evidence that it has been a little toasty there. So I cut the connector out completely and spliced the wires together. No change. I read the blower motor relay and plug could have the same issue, so I checked that and all was good there.

I am at a total loss. I am not fluent with diagnosing electrical problems, so please bear with me if I ask dumb questions. What should my next step(s) be? I really want to start driving this thing daily. I absolutely love it but need the HVAC to be working correctly (aside from ac, don't care about that). Any and all help is appreciated!!!

ChainNlose

Reaction score
Incase anyone was keeping an eye on this, I figured it out. It was a bad ground somewhere in the harness. I snipped the grounds at the splice where all 4 wires com together and ran a new wire to ground them all off the frame. Everything works as it should now.

While I was in that area, I saw the original ground straps and wow were they hideous. I replaced both firewall to frame and frame to passenger head straps with 4ga battery cable, cleaned the areas that mount to firewall and frame as well but that did not solve my particular issue.