HOW TO: Wire a Hidden ignition kill switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sal09

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is old but does anyone know which wire is it on a 96 c1500? there are2 purple wires up there and don't want to cut the wrong one. help anyone?

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Easiest way to do this is to install an mpfi spider, new plugs and wires. If you spend a Grand and get the job done right, the truck won't run for more than 15 mins before it shuts off for no reason. Best part is just as you get into diagnostics on stuff, the starter you put on two weekends ago will stop working.

Sent from my flagged XT1635-01

Tyler/T-Unit

leakers

Reaction score
Isolate the cigarette lighter from ground, make it into a momentary on switch when depressed , splice it into the starter solenoid trigger wire from the ignition. So to start, you have to hold the lighter in while you have the key in the start/cranking position. When you leave the truck, take the lighter with you, hide it OR replace it with a dummy for double indemnity. You will of course need a couple of USB outlets to charge the phone and the GPS , because the lighter will not work anymore. Nobody sucks on those dangerous suicide tubes anymore , DO THEY?

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great idea, this is better than nothing at all, however....

I don't think this would be nearly as effective as cutting off power completely, so the truck has no chance of firing up. Basically a thief just has to look under your dash to see your modification and he's just about good to go.

My thought would be to cut off power between the distributor and coil/pack. That way you will hear someone attempting to startup your truck, but because there is no spark getting to the engine, there is no chance of the the truck going anywhere.

I did it like you did in 1977 before some of you were thought of I used a regular house wall light switch on my 1970 GTO I didn't I have a toggle switch and I was a broke teenager so I placed the switch in the glove box it looked just like a used light switch in the glove box. :hat: