How to unseize an engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
I think you're thinking about armour all being water based. Or maybe you meant water displacing vice water based.

WD40 is a water displacer and it is petroleum based, it has no water in it:

That's from their web site. As with all advertising, take with a grain of salt.

I'm not a big fan of WD, but it works reasonably well when used as intended. I've used it with success on wet ignition wires before. Not so much as a penetrating fluid. It works, but can't hold a candle to Liquid Wrench. ReleasAll is just about as good (maybe better) than Liquid Wrench.

ReleasAll is 40-70% Kerosene by the MSDS sheet. http://www1.mscdirect.com/MSDS/MSDS00002/00257253-20111224.PDF

I`ll wager that the other penetrants aren`t far off that mark with a few "proprietary" ingredients.

We use LPS1/2/3 LST at work. Blows everything away.

But none of them work as well as the smoke wrench......:rofl:

Oh, I read somewhere that it was water based.

Sent from ®obland

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
It's been soaking for about a week now, I add ATF and moovit everyday or so

Going to pull the heads tomorrow, see what the cylinders look like

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I would say MMO, but honestly, there's no use trying to get it unstuck right now if it's froze. It's going to need a complete tear down no matter what, and I guarantee at the VERY least, one hell of a hone job. Let them soak in a solution for a few days, pull the heads, and pound them out.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I would say MMO, but honestly, there's no use trying to get it unstuck right now if it's froze. It's going to need a complete tear down no matter what, and I guarantee at the VERY least, one hell of a hone job. Let them soak in a solution for a few days, pull the heads, and pound them out.

Can't buy MMO in canada anymore. Sadly!

Oh I realize that, just I have no room, moved back home after me and my ex split. An just don't got the room for a complete engine teardown (joys of a 2 car garage with 2 cars in it!)

My pops said he doesn't have a problem with me popping off the heads, but only go farther if I plan to scrap the block.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Another vote for diesel. Worked for me anyways.

Also, I had a Nova Scotian truck fire up with nothing more than a carb and spark plug clean after it had been sitting 9 years without being turned over. I wouldn't give up hope on it, just keep giving it whatever type of oil you choose and put the breaker bar to it every day or so. It might not be that bad, and you could get away with just a good hone job.

Good luck.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
One way to unseize an engine is to tow the vehicle, get it up to about 50 mph, and pop the clutch with it in gear. Something will "unseize" and it may be your bowels. Of course your engine isn't in the vehicle, so I'd go with one of the others' approach.

This is not a recommended way of doing this, unless you want to end up as a viral video.

Last edited:

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
One way to unseize an engine is to tow the vehicle, get it up to about 50 mph, and pop the clutch with it in gear. Something will "unseize" and it may be your bowels. Of course your engine isn't in the vehicle, so I'd go with one of the others' approach.

I would never, ever recommend doing that. Dangerous and you'll probably break something you don't want to break.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I would never, ever recommend doing that. Dangerous and you'll probably break something you don't want to break.

I guess I should have put a laughing smilie. I remember hearing tales from "old guys" years ago about doing that. It's kind of why I put the part about unseizing your bowels.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I guess I should have put a laughing smilie. I remember hearing tales from "old guys" years ago about doing that. It's kind of why I put the part about unseizing your bowels.

I've seen people do stuff like it before. Usually it doesn't end well.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk