How to tighten this ball?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 5/7 drop 93 Sierra and I am installing a Curt 40034 ball with a 2” rise. The problem is the ball doesn’t have an area like a nut on top to tighten the ball and the nut under the bumper doesn’t have enough clearance because of the lip of the bumper to get my 1-1/2” socket. Is there a better way to do this because all I can think is to use a 24” pipe wrench and that’s going to mar the chrome from the ball.

Attachments

• IMG_3395.png
    IMG_3395.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3394.jpeg
    IMG_3394.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 49

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 5/7 drop 93 Sierra and I am installing a Curt 40034 ball with a 2” rise. The problem is the ball doesn’t have an area like a nut on top to tighten the ball and the nut under the bumper doesn’t have enough clearance because of the lip of the bumper to get my 1-1/2” socket. Is there a better way to do this because all I can think is to use a 24” pipe wrench and that’s going to mar the chrome from the ball.
Have a strap wrench?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could you exchange it for another with some kind of flats on it. Sometimes as you start tightening it the friction will hold it place. Or run it down fast with an impact then finish tighten.
Although I prefer using receiver hitch.
Good luck.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Could wrap it heavy with electrical tape and hold it with channel locks. Between that and the friction against the bumper once snug, may get lucky enough it holds for you to torque it down.