How to swap in a vortec 350 with a carb into a '90 k1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hope this is the right section for this, if not please move.

The current motor in my '90 K1500 has a knock in the lower RPMs.

I would like to replace the motor with a newer vortec style 350 motor but at the same time I would like to convert the vortec 350 to a 4 barrel carb.

What's all involved with this swap conversion? What will I need besides the motor and carb?

Thanks

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Its pretty straight forward man, even easier if ur using a 700R4. There is several threads floating around here but many more can be found via Google.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
a search would be a great place to start, carbing a vortec engine is no different then any other engine, just get the right intake manifold.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
First of all, You'll need a carb manifold that will fit Vortec heads. Pretty straight forward after that. If you've got an electronic trans, you'll either need a stand alone unit, or check in the engine swap section, there is a thread on fitting the stock TPS onto a carb to make the trans work.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I Have a manual 5 speed so the trans end of the equation is already figured out

Any recommendations on carb size or style of manifold?

I'm not looking for big power just reliability

Thanks

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I'm thinking of using this for the induction set up, 600cfm should be plenty I think

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/cmb-03-0197

Edelbrock low rise dual plain Vortec manifold. They can be had for about $160 on Summit. Then I would look for a good Holley 650. Edelbrock makes some good street carbs as well, but I'm just a Holley guy. Whatever you get, something in the 600-650 range should be fine.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Looks like I'm gonna start shopping around for the above mentioned parts!