How to short/bypass window switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The drivers window switch went out in my 1994 k1500 suburban. I went to all the local yards and couldn't find a replacement. Does anyone know if there's a way to short it out so I can make the window roll up?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Slightly different question, how hard is it to get to the motor to apply power directly to it?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 98, it’s not hard. Once you (blindly) get it disconnected, it had a fair amount of slack in the line.

Try tapping the side of the door near the motor while engaging the switch. Sometimes that will get it working long enough to close it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 98, it’s not hard. Once you (blindly) get it disconnected, it had a fair amount of slack in the line.

Try tapping the side of the door near the motor while engaging the switch. Sometimes that will get it working long enough to close it.

Do you know where the motor is mounted? I'll try tapping it to see if that helps. I'm having a hell of a time finding a "new" switch. I've got @Z71Hobbs trying to help me too.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would guess that the 88-94 is the same, but it’s kind of near the speaker (red circle below).

You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

mysery1

Reaction score
The switch comes apart and you can clean the contacts. I've done this on my 98 C1500 and my wife's 08 Silverado a few times to get it to work.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I found out that my window motor is the problem, so I'll be replacing ti this weekend.