How to run a trans gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am going to tow and do some hard core mudding,and i have no idea to run a temp gauge and nor whats the normal ok temp on a 4l80e trans and when the shut off temp . thanks lot

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Not yet but its on the list for mine, I believe that escalade gauge clusters already have them built in and is a plug and play swap for the 1/2tons

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i got a 2500 with the 4l80e trans does it hook up to the trans cooler line?

6789olds

Reaction score
Bully dog sells a watch dog gauge that does trans temp and like 20 other gauges . it cost $260 but its plug and play right to the ob2 port . and it works on 1996 and up trucks you can move it from truck to truck .

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a service port on the side of the tranny that most guys use.

I've seen a chart floating around gmfs that gives you the expected miles out of a tranny vs. temp. Basically said that if you keep it under 140 deg (daily) it'll last forever, and if you run much over 200 deg (daily) you'll be lucky to get 20k miles.
The tranny temp in our 3500 work truck never gets over 190* towing a 10K lbs trailer (max towing load per owners manual) and never gets over 140* unloaded (tools and guys, but no trailer). It's got 135,000 miles with no tranny issues yet and it's towed at least half those miles.

98DDiesel

Reaction score
Where is this port at on the 4l80e trans? Wanting to install a temp guage for towing. And don't want to cut a hole in my pan to do so.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
glowshift has a very easy clean set up, i have one in my truck right now, there is a small threaded plug that you unscrew from the side of your tranny, then a sending unit screws in in its place, then a couple wires here and a couple wires there and mount the gauge and bam........done

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
There is a service port on the side of the tranny that most guys use.

I've seen a chart floating around gmfs that gives you the expected miles out of a tranny vs. temp. Basically said that if you keep it under 140 deg (daily) it'll last forever, and if you run much over 200 deg (daily) you'll be lucky to get 20k miles.
The tranny temp in our 3500 work truck never gets over 190* towing a 10K lbs trailer (max towing load per owners manual) and never gets over 140* unloaded (tools and guys, but no trailer). It's got 135,000 miles with no tranny issues yet and it's towed at least half those miles.

as far as the tempature goes, thats directly related to the tempature of the engine, stock, the tranny cools though the radiator which depending on how hot the coolant is, depends on the tempature of the tranny fluid, i have a aux tranny cooler, but the way i have it ran is on the return line after the radiator i have it tapped in, so it actually cools the fluid after the radiator, but here in LA, lately the tempatures have been getting up to 100 degrees+, so i see tempatures anywhere from160 to 180 in normal driving and thats completely normal