how to hook up sub to stock radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a stock radio. Just trying to figure out how to wire it up. I'm good on the power/ground, and fine on the audio leads. Just not sure were to tap the "remote" wire into that turns it on/off with the radio.

Any help appreciated.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
I think I tapped my remote wire into the factory radio power wire, but it was a while ago so I dont remember for sure...

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also,
Maybe I'm not totally fine on the audio leads. I've got a hi/low converter. I've got the inputs figured out, and of course I can plug in the RCAs for the output to the amp. There is a 5th wire on the input side though. What is that for?

orangeastre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK,on the hi-low converter the fifth wire is usually a ground wire,what brand of converter is it?.I generally only ground them if there is any "alternator" whine present in the system.The input wires will wire to the dk.blue/light blue pair for the right and the brown/yellow pair for the left.The darker on each is the (+).For your remote turn on you can use accessory power in the radio harness,but you can occasionally end up with a feedback loop if the truck is running with the radio powered down.I like to use either the TR4 module from PAC or the DEI 55000 to create a remote turn on that shuts down with the stock radio.I hope this helps,any other questions fire away.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK,on the hi-low converter the fifth wire is usually a ground wire,what brand of converter is it?.I generally only ground them if there is any "alternator" whine present in the system.The input wires will wire to the dk.blue/light blue pair for the right and the brown/yellow pair for the left.The darker on each is the (+).For your remote turn on you can use accessory power in the radio harness,but you can occasionally end up with a feedback loop if the truck is running with the radio powered down.I like to use either the TR4 module from PAC or the DEI 55000 to create a remote turn on that shuts down with the stock radio.I hope this helps,any other questions fire away.

Thanks. That's helpful. I already had the wires figured out and was guessing that was the ground. Funny you say you don't hook it up because I had already decided that I would only hook it up if it didn't operate correctly.

As far as the power. I'll just hook it into the aux as you suggested. If I get issues I just through a toggle switch in the line. That might be nice anyway if I'm full of people and don't want the bass. What color is this wire?

orangeastre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The acc wire feed is the yellow that is found in pin I.The way to test for the feedback loop is to shut off the radio with it's power button.If you get a drone or "motorboat" sound that is the feedback problem.The toggle switch option will work for you to stop it,however it usually creates some turn-on/turn-off thumps.Still better than the other option.Good luck.