How to convert off-road lights to HID's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Apparently they're bright enough to confuse the camera. Those should be 4500 or 5000K (I forget which) 55w in harbor freight housings... the green is definitely not true-to-life.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
just finished the install like an hour ago... but I will flip them on to check aiming after work.. 2 mile long driveway with some good tree-lines to use as a backdrop.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
looks like I'm going to need heavier gauge wire... the wiring got a little warm on my way into work. Also, they're aimed too low... going to have to see how much those housings will bend. I drilled strait into the bumper and did it toward the front edge (bolt is at about a 15* angle) so that I would have clearance on the grill, so I'm maxed out in the travel of the housing's adjustment... hopefully nothing breaks before I get them aimed properly.

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
whatever came with the "driving" lights (read: walmart special) that the previous owner had mounted on the back bumper.. From the looks of it, 14 or 16ga.

I had it bundled up and sitting in the bed, so I figured for the sake of a function check I'd wire it up. lol

edit: definitely going to have to adjust the mounts to get the aiming right.

Last edited:

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
bump!!!!!!!!!!! im doing this soon butwith 55watt or 75w hids 4300k cuse im a bright light kind of guy :D

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
if 75w HIDs exist, I've yet to see them. my 55w are absurdly bright though. very happy.