How to control torque convertor clutch with no computer, 89 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im converting my 89 C1500 to a Holley, big aluminum racing heads, blah blah blah. Obviously, the ecm will not be controlling the engine anymore. Trans is a stock 700R4, no electronic control other than the tcc. Will be getting a higher stall convertor with tcc. Already ordered the correct linkage bracket and arm to properly use the tv cable on a Holley. Does the computer still control the tcc even with the engine seperated from the ecm control? Does the speed sensor control the tcc on its own, or does it need engine info to work?
If it does not, will I need to get an aftermarket controller? I know I would if I removed the ecm completely. If it runs the tcc as is, Ill remove the check engine light bulb from the dash. If it wont, its all getting removed intact in case I sell the truck and go back stock. At the least, it will be unhooked.
I tried searching on here but no luck.
Thanks.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your 7747 does control TCC. It is based on MPH vs TPS in 3rd or 4th gears. If you take it out you will need an after market controller. IIRC these kits only lock up in OD (or at certain speed setting). You won't have the option to change settings for lock up in either 3rd or 4th.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-376600/overview/

One word of caution, your stock 700r4 probably won't hold up under your higher torque output, mine didn't in my 88. I'm waiting for a stage 2 tranny w/2300-2500 TC now, gonna be about 3 weeks.

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crap, well, Ill be rid of my check engine light problem then. Once this trans dies, Im going T56 or NV4500 anyway. I hate automatics anyway. The one I have is a Jasper reman, was in there when I got it. Shifts well and all. Im adding a huge cooler to it and getting a deep pan for extra fluid/cooling. Hope that keeps it alive a little longer. I wont be racing it that much, definately not many full throttle stuff until I have the manual swap stuff ready to go in.

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if I rig up the factory tps to the holley if that would work. May be too much work but free to check into.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's other stuff required for TCC. Aside from MPH and TPS, you'll need CTS and RPM feedback in Scalars and Tables. These shouldn't be too hard to hook up...

You must be registered for see images attach

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 700r4 in your 89 has external TCC control that can easily be controlled by a simple toggle switch, vacuum switch or any number of aftermarket kits from Monster Transmission and others.

1986 was the last year for valves to control TCC. 1988, valve body cavities were there, but plugged with simple caps...easy to convert to hydraulic internal control. 1989 the valve body is primed off and no longer has the hydraulic cavities for TCC. A simple steel ball is sold to go under the TCC solenoid to block it off as well.

Your 1989 has many choices depending on what you want. The torque is the factor to how the tranny is picked or built. I used an 87 w/valving added to add internal only TCC because I want the gas mileage.

I technically built a high end 4L65 non-electric transmission with lifetime warranty on Red Alto frictions & kolene steels. Using ACDelco 5 gear planetary's front and rear, torrington bearing kit, BW 29 element sprague and a bucket load of Sonnax parts, Superior billet apply / accumulator parts, Monster reaction sun shell, 0.500" boost valve, 2nd servo release check valve, Trans-Go JR shift kit, with stock torque convertor and cooler places this unit into the 450 HP / 475 T range, easy.

I am retired and have more time than money, but it took 3 days of part time work to complete this bench build. Not including time spent to clean the case and dress it up outside a little. It is behind a "LS" engine with 325 HP / 365 T. With a 3.08 final and P245/75R16 on 6 lug Pacer wheels, at 80 mph the tach shows 1932 RPM, 70 mph = 1690 and at 60 = 1449. All this gets me on the highway on average 22.1 MPG. I am good with an auto, but year have hips and low back hurting as well.

I did some of these at the dealer, but mostly the 4L30e 4X4. My wife's 200R4 went out on a Friday, pulled it at home, had it in a going by Sunday late. But I was 34 then.

What ever you go for, just realize there are way to do it.

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Ill probably go with the external control. I dont know what year the trans is since its a Jasper rebuild. It shifts and works very well. Been checking into the different external control options already.