How long can you leave primer on the body before painting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I threw some primer on my hood a couple days ago and I'm just wondering how long I can leave it like that before I decide to paint over it

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
A good while if you keep it clean. Then before you paint, wet sand to clean it up before you re spray.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
If I could find the pics, my buddy left his in primer for a year and we just sanded and shot the paint. He has had it like that for a few years now. Paint looks great.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
A lot of it depends on where you live. If it's warm and dry the rust isn't a big issue and you can go a fair amount of time.

If you live in a wet rust prone area, it comes on pretty fast.

The thing is: primer is permeable. Meaning, water and oxygen can penetrate the primer and start the rusting process.

It can show up years after the finished paint is shot on if exposure to the elements in primer is too long.

Now, we're talking about a primer exposed to the elements like on a driver, not a project sitting in a nice cozy garage....

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Like greatwhite said depends on climate and location but driver or project doesnt really matter if its a humid area, the moisture in the area will start rusting alot sooner than if painted and cleared however not as fast as bare metal, correct me if im wrong but i believe bare metal starts rusting within 24 hours

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Like greatwhite said depends on climate and location but driver or project doesnt really matter if its a humid area, the moisture in the area will start rusting alot sooner than if painted and cleared however not as fast as bare metal, correct me if im wrong but i believe bare metal starts rusting within 24 hours

Bare steel starts rusting the moment it's exposed to oxygen. Referred to as "flash rusting" in media blasting and body working circles....freshly blasted usually goes straight into primer asap.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Dev should know. His has been in primer for quite a few years now.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Mines been in primer for over a year now but I also live where rust isn't a problem

Sent from DAS DOOLAY!!!