How hot does your truck run w/ ac on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I finally got my truck in running order. 91 1500. I put a new alumarad radiator in it, but still need a shroud for it. The ac clutch was not working for a while and while driving today the ac started working, but my temp got higher than it normally would. It was a little above 210. W/o ac it's about a quarter way up the gauge. I didn't drive it real far either, but it was hot as hell today too. Any input would be good. Thanks.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I'll check tomorrow when I drive home.

454/4X4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
94 K1500, new engine, new rad, new pump, hoses, stat, etc...A/C OFF...runs about 170. A/C on..runs about 185.

This is, traffic...95*...and 90% humidity....

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Without a fan shroud it will run a lot hotter than normal. Need to install that and then recheck your temp. 210 degrees isn't all that high, but it should be closer to 205, depending on the temp that day.

Travis

Reaction score
About 190, but that's with an upgraded radiator and fans.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea I need to find a shroud for a 34" rad and re check none of the pick and pulls I found have them.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
No difference than running without it.

At least, not enough to tell on the cheap dash gauge.

Of course, my diesel's fan has been known to pin small birds to the grill that fly too close....:rofl:

I've also go t a touch more air intake area than most:

You must be registered for see images attach

Helps when towing....:)

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what would make the temp increase so dramatically while running the A/c? without running the a/c it is where it used to always stay at.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
So what would make the temp increase so dramatically while running the A/c? without running the a/c it is where it used to always stay at.

Increased thermal load on the cooling system due to hotter air across the rad.

If it's not up to ***** you will see temp rise.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
My '96 never goes above 195 to 200 degrees with the A/C full blast during a 100 degree day. Even when towing 6000lbs.
I regularly clean between the radiator and the A/C condenser.
My truck has a stock 34" radiator w/shroud, severe duty clutch fan (new), 195 degree thermostat, and a B&M trans fluid super cooler in front of the A/C condenser.
The severe duty clutch fan can get stupid loud though.