HOW DO WE RESET OUR AIRBAG MODULES??????????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
Got a 95 GMC 1500. When I bought the truck the airbag light was already on. By the looks of it, the airbag light came on when the previous owner hit something,
bent the front bumper and put a crack in the grill. Anyway, the lights on and don't know how to reset the module. Do I need to go the dealer? Don't want to just remove the bulb. Anybody know how to reset these things?:think::think:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I don't think they can be reset.

I think once they're tripped you have to replace them.

I recall that form somewhere, but don't quote me on it....

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Air Bag codes/lights are self clearing when the key is cycled on. If there is a current issue, the code will set and turn the light on. If the issue isn't there, the light will go off. Chances are you have a damaged front crash sensor. I would take it to a repair shop and have the code pulled. The sensors are available from the dealer and are relatively inexpensive.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Air Bag codes/lights are self clearing when the key is cycled on. If there is a current issue, the code will set and turn the light on. If the issue isn't there, the light will go off. Chances are you have a damaged front crash sensor. I would take it to a repair shop and have the code pulled. The sensors are available from the dealer and are relatively inexpensive.

D'oh.

I meant the sensor not the module.

Need to put more detail in what I type....

Hellbound

Reaction score
Is there a way to test the sensors to find out why the airbag light is on? Mine is also on and was since I bought the truck.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
OBD II has capability to query the module for fault codes if you have a scanner with the gm enhanced codes package.

Not sure about obd I though...

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
If someone had the steering wheel off, they might of broken the clock spring behind it, does the steering wheel make clicking noises from full lock left to full lock right and vise versa.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Clockspring is a possibility.

Better way to check it is to pop the airbag off, drop the lower trim panel on the steering column and meter the wires.

:)

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
Is there a special scanner for the airbag module that I can buy? The trucks a 95.