How do I install a crank sprocket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of putting a new timing chain on my '98 5.7L 350 and I don't know how to get the crank sprocket into position. I've read that it should be gently tapped into position but that's not doing anything and I'm worried I'll damage something if it strike it any harder.

I saw a YouTube vid where some guys heated the sprocket to 400º and it just slid on.

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And I'm sorry if I created an unnecessary thread. I made extensive use of the search filter and couldn't find anything specific.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you preheat the sprocket to 400 degrees, it will slide on to the crank, just like you saw on you tube. You can do this in your kitchen oven, and install the sprocket with a pair of leather welding gloves, but I would not touch the sprocket any more that you have to. You can also handle it with a pair of channel locks, or something like that. I have done this on other sprockets on heavy equpt. many times. 15 to 20 mins. in the oven is long enough.

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't heat a harmonic balancer due to the possibility of weakening the rubber. Use the proper tool. It threads all of the way into the crank and then a collar and a washer goes over the threads and a nut tightens against the collar squarely.

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you preheat the sprocket to 400 degrees, it will slide on to the crank, just like you saw on you tube...

I tried that, almost. I heated it to 350 degrees and it wouldn't go on. I suppose the extra heat makes a difference. I guess I should learn to follow directions...

Anyway, I finally got it on with more tapping, just needed slightly more force.

I personally wouldn't heat a harmonic balancer due to the possibility of weakening the rubber. Use the proper tool. It threads all of the way into the crank and then a collar and a washer goes over the threads and a nut tightens against the collar squarely.

I got the harmonic balancer tool earlier tonight. Should have it on tomorrow.

I'm doing a combined intake gasket & timing cover/oil pan gasket job. Starting to think I bit off a little too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I make my own tool with threaded rod and a half dozen greased washers stacked up under the nut.

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I make my own tool with threaded rod and a half dozen greased washers stacked up under the nut.

I read about doing that. I thought about it but I figured I wouldn't be doing this again for quite awhile so I opted for the free rental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk