How can I quiet down my exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I pulled a loaded trailer with my truck the other and the exhaust was super loud. Louder then I care for. I'm looking to quiet it down some without having to make serious modifications.

Currently running a 305 and 5 speed with stock manifolds to stock y pipe to 2.5" pipe into a 3"in/out thrush welded chambered muffler then ending with a 3" tail pipe out the stock location.

I was thinking of adding a resonator or glass pack to smooth out the harsh tones but keep the muffler in place. Will that help or will I need swap to completly different muffler?

I'm no longer interested in loud exhausts but a step up from stock tone would be great.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Walker mufflers have a nice deep rumble while not being loud. So would a single long glasspack.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I love the sound of yours, I just prefer the look of dual. I bet the sound would be a lot different with duals :bawl:

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No cat. How much will one hurt flow vs a walker muffler? I'm thinking of just swapping in a walker quiet flow muffler

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I vote for a quieter muffler vs installing a cat converter. A 50 series flowmaster is my recommendation.
If I could get away with it, I would remove the cats on my truck in a heartbeat.
I need to move to a non-emissions area.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I vote for a quieter muffler vs installing a cat converter. A 50 series flowmaster is my recommendation.
If I could get away with it, I would remove the cats on my truck in a heartbeat.
I need to move to a non-emissions area.

That's what I'm leaning towards but I don't think a flowmaster 50 is what I need. Its a chambered style like I have now and trying to get away from. I mean don't get me wrong, those mufflers sound great and I like them but when pulling a trailer especially a horse trailer the noise is a bit over the top for me and I'm sure for the horse too lol.

I really don't want to add a cat, they cost double of a new muffler that I can just swap in place.

I'm thinking about going with a walker quiet flow muffler. Anyone have any experience with these?