How can i do an alignment myself? 1992 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you read my previous post under the Stock Suspension + Bolt On Kits thread, i took my truck in to be aligned 3 times, and everytime i got it back the front right tire was always toe out. This is causing my truck to pull to the right, and it makes left turns and U turns a nightmare. Now i am covered for the 1 year alignment warranty, but the last time i took it to get aligned i left the truck there for 2 days and the truck was still unaligned. Not wanting to do that again. I would like someone to guide me in the general direction of how to align my front tires up. Another thing i would like to know is how can i keep my steering wheel straight while doing it. The local shop i went to did an eyeball alignment on my 02 Xterra and it drives fine, its just that the steering wheel aint straight.

I have got a 1992 Silverado. I also have to replace the steering gearbox soon so i have quite the bit of play in my steering wheel. Just an FYI

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are some grate videos on this on you tube. Here is one of them.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will say this about alignments on these trucks though. I have had a GMT 400 sense 1999. The specs for camber is 0.50 plus or minus 0.50, so 0 to 1.00 camber is within spec. These trucks do better at 0.00 camber. Watch the video if you don't know what camber is. And if you are running a wider than OE tire, is it critical that the camber be at 0.00 If it is at 0.50, the truck will eat the outside tread of the tires.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I might not have explained myself to clearly. Im mainly looking for the "bolt" location if that is the right terminology, so i can adjust the tie rods and bring my front right tire to toe in and straighten it out.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
try and bungy the steering wheel off in both directions. then take a tape measure and measure up on front and back of each tire to the same location. pick a spot and stick with it. then measure the front of drivers side tire "spot" to front of passengers side tire "spot". the go behind the tires and do the same. you will probably come up with a difference there. the idea is to not have a difference from front of tire to back of tire. if you need to make a changed loosen the two bolts and nuts on each tie rod sleeve, jack the truck up just a hair and move in whatever direction gets rid of the difference, making the tires straight, and drop truck. jounce the truck ront end or roll back and forth. this is how i have done all my alignments just to get them close enough to drive to the alignment shop. if there are any parts in quesiton you will never get it right.