horsepower, tranny and chip/programming questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnbales

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Silverado with 130k on the original engine I bought it with a blown tranny, me and my friend installed a good tranny, and when we did jt my friend didn't mount the tranny dipstick and didn't tell me, after a few days tranny fluid sprayed out and ended up burning it up it ran great till that happened. I'm about to install a rebuilt tranny with a shift kit in it that was in my parts truck I got from my dads old friend that's a mechanic, will the shift kit make it have more horsepower or really just make it shift better? Would chipping/programming it be safe or should I just do little mods and if so what mods would be great to do? it already has true dual exhaust with glasspacks and aftermarket cats, other than that I don't think there is anything done. Help me make this truck a beast! Haha I'll have like a 1k budget unless o find a good programmer or chip that's safe.

CaRaZy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is a good working trans with the right shift kit it will shift quicker which makes your truck a hair quicker. A shift kit does not add horsepower. You can try a flash/tune but you will not achieve "beast" status off that. It is just a small gain that you may feel. To really start feeling anything to claim beast mode status you need to do a cam or forced induction man. You can put a cold air intake and hear the engine a little more while making a few extra hp but that alone will start gobbling up your budget.

I saw in your sig you want to lift the truck... your best bet is to do gears. It will make the truck feel a lot snappier and would help you down the road once you have bigger tires on it.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
A shift kit only improves shifting and helps your transmission last longer. It does not increase horsepower. Will $1000 you should start with a black bear tune and better exhaust. Headers, high flow cats, better muffler and maybe a cold air intake. But the black bear tune will be the biggest noticeable power difference.

Johnbales

Reaction score
Haha I just threw in that beast for the hell of it, I'm only really looking for a 40 horsepower gain. I am planning on gearing it when I lift it. it actually does have a really nice exhaust system, and what's a black bear tune?

Jake_98Sierra

Reaction score
I have a few questions about a programmer i bought awhile ago and haven't used yet.
I bought a Fast Flash programmer for my 98 GMC Sierra but i am not 100% sure how to use it without ruining anything. Also My current engine is a 305 with 320,000KM on it and im not sure if maybe It wouldn't be worth using it on since I plan on putting a 350 in in another year or two and would like to use it on that. OR would it prolong the life of my 305 and could still be used on the new engine? The main reason i got it was because i upgraded my tires to 35" and its quite gutless at times.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Gears make a WORLD of difference. I can tell you first hand, i went from a auto with 3.73s to a 5 speed with 4.10s. Same engine and same tires on it. 2x more power, and 1/2 the gas mileage lol. Its not quite that bad, but its noticeably worse

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I changed the gears from 3.73's to 4.11's in my 97 and I noticed a little more pep, but my fuel mileage got a little bit better actually.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Gears make a WORLD of difference. I can tell you first hand, i went from a auto with 3.73s to a 5 speed with 4.10s. Same engine and same tires on it. 2x more power, and 1/2 the gas mileage lol. Its not quite that bad, but its noticeably worse

A lot of what helps you is the stivk though